Bumpmapping to Low Workaround for RC Crashes

Started by arramus, June 08, 2009, 09:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arramus

Bumpmapping to Low Workaround for RC Crashes

This post is dated March 20, 2009 on the LucasArts Support Forum. It was posted by a mod there but was pretty tucked away.

I haven't been able to run the game properly or even open the editor for over a year but with this suggestion I could do both again.

Poor SWRC. It's certainly showing its age.

------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a known crash issue involving modern videocards that occurs when loading into the game from the Main Menu, while the game's Bumpmapping option is set to "High".

This crash will occur using GeForce cards in the 8000 series or newer (8xxx, 9xxx, 1xx and 2xx) and with ATI Cards in the R600 family or newer (any Radeon with the "HD" designation). Using these videocards, the game's auto-detection sets the Bumpmapping Quality to "HIGH", by default.

To avoid this crash, please do the following:
> Launch the game.
> In Main Menu, select Options.
> In Options Menu, select Graphics.
> In Graphics Menu, select Bumpmapping Quality and set to LOW.
> Click the Apply button and then start new game.

ubernoob

erm...i just tried this any sadly, it didnt work. i am missing out on something?
{VIMI} Division Commander

We are a noob clan. We don\'t care.

RC-1266

When I had trouble starting up RC on my new computer I used this information from SecuROM:

If you would like to find out what there is on your computer that keeps the copy-protected application from starting although there is an original disc in the drive, please follow the procedure below and submit the resulting AnalysisLog.sr0 file to support@securom.com for evaluation along with the name of the software you cannot start.

They also wanted me to send a screenshot from the error screen.
After about ten minutes you'll probably get an auto-reply; reply this email and say that your problem cannot be solved by the information on their site  :?  and within a day you'll probably have a new SWRepublicCommando.exe in your inbox :D

I can run bumpmapping on high now; the only thing I have to remember is switching it to low before I quit RC, because otherwise my UnrealEd crashes at startup.
Hopefully it works for you guys as well :)

ubernoob

Thanks for all your help! I have 2 cpus that I use UnrealEd on. The newer one had the bumpmapping issue (many thanks for pointing that out) and a Windows 2000 that has a graphics card that exceeds itself. Anyway, the bumpmapping issue on the 2000 wasnt the issue, per se, it was the color resolution of the cpu. I had to change it from 16-bit (high color) to 32-bit (true color). In case anyone has that issue, that's another solution right there. But thanks for your help, gents.
{VIMI} Division Commander

We are a noob clan. We don\'t care.