Project RC II

Started by VodeAn, April 30, 2007, 06:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VodeAn

ok I have a lag sloution, first, I filtered out redicluous things, second, I am going to release in 3 or 4 files...
2-3 essential mod rar's
1 update for slower machines

RC-1266

so if i understand correctly;
the mod from VodeAn is finished, but he cant post it cause its too big
the mod from JanDeis is not finished (and will it be?)

JanDeis

Quote from: "RC-1266"the mod from JanDeis is not finished (and will it be?)

It is in the works.  I have ideas (but then again, who doesn't) for how the storyline will go.  The only trouble I'm running into is making my trenches for Kashyyyk.

VodeAn

no my mod is NOT FINISHED, the next release will include improvements but no new levels, then the release after that will include both improvements and new levels.

JanDeis

You are zoning it right?

DooFi

Quote from: "JanDeis"
Quote from: "RC-1266"the mod from JanDeis is not finished (and will it be?)

It is in the works.  I have ideas (but then again, who doesn't) for how the storyline will go.  The only trouble I'm running into is making my trenches for Kashyyyk.
Whats the problem with making trenches? Do you use Terrain?

JanDeis

I tried terrain, but it sucked really badly.  It was way too uneven.  You would walk into the trench and fall into a hole.  I just don't have enough experience with the terrain editor.

VodeAn

yes. i am working on two versions of the levels low quality and high quality, zoning will be included in both versions.

RC-1266

sorry for the stupid question...what's zoning? i probably should know but i dont :lol:
and isnt it possible to post your mod on filefront or here when the downloads section works?

Use the edit-button, please
//DooFi

JanDeis

Zoning splits up your map into pieces to give your "zones" different effects (lighting, gravity, etc.) and to break up the loading needed for the game.

RC-1266

doofi what do you mean with "use edit button"?
and i stiil dont understand what zoning is  :oops:

ok, thank u for the tips and look: i edited, haha

DooFi

instead of double-posting, please edit your first posting to add something. The edit-button is right next to the quote-button in the corner of your posting.
Zoning is a way to optimize your map performancewise. It divides the map into small sections which can be completely switched on/off while rendering. When a frame is rendered, the engine first checks which surfaces it has to draw and which ones are not seen by the camera. It then only draws those that can be seen. With zones set up correctly, the engine can check which zones are currently not seen by the camera, thus it does not have to check each surface in that zone, ergo it saves a hell of a lot of time, resulting in the player getting more fps.

1upD

Quote from: "RC-1266"doofi what do you mean with "use edit button"?
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Dangit, I couldn't find that freaking lol cat in time!

lol, I just shortened your As a little, so they don't stretch the site design too much ;)
//DooFi

JanDeis

Quote from: "RC-1266"and i stiil dont understand what zoning is  :oops:

There is a tutorial someplace on this site that explains zoning.  I'll find it...

EDIT:  Here you go: //http://sandcrawler.net/rcmod/tutorials/8.html  <--Zoning Tutorial

VodeAn

yes you will see zoneing especially on gamemap12 (the forest level).
the main problem with the level you lagged on was actually a hidden glitch in one of the towers, somebody didn't do a very good job on the quantity of fog emiters (umm... sorry)
if filefront allows huge files (500mb) then I could upload split archives their.