Changing Sounds/Ambience

Started by Jedi_Mediator, January 16, 2007, 01:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jedi_Mediator

(Copied and pasted from FileFront Forums)

I understand that Republic Commando is very difficult to mod, but I have a question anyway. There are several weapon's sounds that I would like to replace with new ones, along with replacing some of the ambience, as well. How would this be possible? Would I need a program like Pakscape (only for Q3 games, I know) to open up the special filetypes?

DooFi

no, you can access the sound packages via UnrealED, just like texture- and SM-packages as well. You'd not be able to play the game online with altered packages, so you have to keep backup files if you want to change original sounds.

Jedi_Mediator

Where could I download UnrealED?

DooFi

if you have instelled patch 1.00, then it's in your /system/ directory. Unrealed.exe, i believe.

Jedi_Mediator

URGG yes, I looked on the internet and that's what everyone says. However, this just happens to be a REPUBLIC COMMANDO SITE, doesn't it? Or, at least, that's what I gathered...

No, I do not have UT (yes, yes, go ahead and slap me with a large fish). Is there any *other* way to get the Editor?

DooFi

wtf are you complaining about? Install patch 1.00 and head to the system folder, it's there. trust me :roll:

Jedi_Mediator

Okay, I decided to just download the UT2004 patch to get the program. However, UnrealED doesn't seem to want to start up...I get a Critical Error message that says:

Build UT2004_Build_[2005-11-23_16.22]

CPU: AuthenticAMD PentiumPro-class processor @ 2210 MHz with 511MB RAM
Video: No Video

Can't find 'ini:Engine.Engine.ViewportManager' in configuration file

History: UObject::SafeLoadError <- UObject::StaticLoadClass <- UEditorEngine::Init <- UUnrealEdEngine::Init <- InitEngine

I'm guessing this has something to do with the fact that I don't have the game itself. Is there still a way to use the program?

DooFi

Quote from: "Jedi_Mediator"Okay, I decided to just download the UT2004 patch to get the program. However, UnrealED doesn't seem to want to start up...I get a Critical Error message that says:

Build UT2004_Build_[2005-11-23_16.22]

CPU: AuthenticAMD PentiumPro-class processor @ 2210 MHz with 511MB RAM
Video: No Video

Can't find 'ini:Engine.Engine.ViewportManager' in configuration file

History: UObject::SafeLoadError <- UObject::StaticLoadClass <- UEditorEngine::Init <- UUnrealEdEngine::Init <- InitEngine

I'm guessing this has something to do with the fact that I don't have the game itself. Is there still a way to use the program?
Dude, what the crap have you just done?! O_o
You do NOT need unreal torunament. What you need is skill and Republic Commando with the latest patch. Since there was only one patch at all, it is obviously patch 1.00. Got it? Download RC Patch 1.00 and head to the /system/ folder. There you'll find UnrealED.exe. It's called Unrealed.exe, because it originally derives fromn the Unreal Engine, but it has nothing to do with Unreal Tournaments editor! They just look the same, but you cannot exchange files between them.

Jedi_Mediator

QuoteSince there was only one patch at all, it is obviously patch 1.00. Got it? Download RC Patch 1.00 and head to the /system/ folder. There you'll find UnrealED.exe.

OHHHHHH! I thought you meant to download a patch for UT 2004, not Republic Commando :P Well, in that case, confusion is cleared up. It turns out that I downloaded that patch a while back. Thanks for your help!

Okay, I'm having a little trouble here. I can't find any button that lets me replace sounds! How do I do this?

Hybrid_Soldier196

yep now i see why you changed the post titles sandcrawler..... :D

DooFi

Quote from: "Jedi_Mediator"Okay, I'm having a little trouble here. I can't find any button that lets me replace sounds! How do I do this?

lol, of course there is no button for replacing sounds xD What do you expect? YOu have to learn the philosophy of UnrealED first, then you'll be able to replace sounds or textures without any problem.
You must know that there are several browsers. There is a texture-browser, in which you can find lots of textures. In addition there are browsers for actors, static meshes, particle effects, animations and also sounds. Once you open up the sound-browser there are several buttons for browsing, deleting, moving and creating new sounds.

Squad_Sammaron

It might help to take tut's on UE... kinda makes it easier (even though it's still a piece of art made from crap O.o)
"Testosterone - You\'ve never seen so much man in one place."
      Title of Regal, Tales of Symphonia
      Stolen by Sammaron, Lord of All

Jedi_Mediator

ARRRGHHH! How come I never seem to be able to get my point across...

i CAN'T replace the sounds. I import a sound, and it doesn't even appear in the LIST. How, then, am I supposed to do anything with sounds at all??

DooFi

the browser uses Packages, Groups and Names to sort the files. Make sure you enter the correct values and the ed will replace automatically

Jedi_Mediator

But it DOESN'T! I enter the exact name of the sound I want to replace, and it still sounds the same when I play it (example: I am trying to replace the tranShotgun sound. However, I still hear the default gun sound after I enter the exact name)! Is this supposed to happen??