Questions about Unreal Editor.....

Started by Omega 27 Elite, November 27, 2010, 08:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandcrawler

This is my super cool signature, if you think you can best it then make one and Personal Message it to me. :)

Omega 27 Elite

I am a man of many questions...

Omega 27 Elite

putting that aside for now, how do make animations in unreal

Tycon

theres two answers
1. you can reskin and add meshes to bones in anims that already exist(see my thread Lightsaber in the Animations/machinima forum)
2. there is no tool to make custom anims(like for a whole new character). if you cant morph previous anims into what you want, you need another program like Wings3D and import anims from there.
i dont really know much about anims (im pretty nooby there :P)

I just do this to show off my brother's photoshop skillz :D

Omega 27 Elite

yeah so am i :| but with the animations already in unreal how do you like connect them to a pawn and then trigger it?I it probably has something to do with an aiscript and i dont know much about that either.

also, in the actual maps that you play in rc they have like boxes that dont have any textures they're just wire frames, they arent blocking volumes they're just subtracted boxes with no texture not even the checker thing. idk how to do that

Tycon

umm i think those are skyboxes? (see the tut on skyboxes and you should understand)
as for making pawns do anims add pawn of your choice. go to actor classes>aiscript>scriptedsequence and add one. it will look like a gray square with the words A.I. Script. open up the actor props of the script. goto Events>Tag and make it SlaverAI(or whatever your pawn is. Again, the exact wording doesn't matter, you could make it "ilikecheese" if u wanted. it helps to give it a name that makes sense. it also helps if your tag has capital letters) goto AI>Actions>Add. use the pulldown menu and select WaitForEvent. hit New. set event tag to CueSlaverAnim. select Actions again and hit Add. this time choose PlayAnim and hit New. now open the Anim browser. get to the one you want. its name would be something like SlaverLookLeft(760). in the PlayAnim you made, type in slaverlookleft(no caps, no number) hit Enter. if you typed it right, it will be autocapped. open your pawns props. AI>AIScriptTag and make it slaverai (or whatever just make it no caps bcuz if u do it right, it will be autocapped) finally, set up a trigger to do CueSlaverAnim.

This is a lot like the voice/sound thing

Omega 27 Elite

ok i thought it was probably basically like that but im a noob with that sort of stuff

Tycon

lol try just looking through the stuff you can do with the script. its pretty easy once you get the concept of tags and events down

Omega 27 Elite

ok so i looked that that tutorial before and thought it was just him putting a little box above the room and putting the sky textures in there and i was like i don't want that i want a real one like the ones in the game with the separate box.........well now i know xDDD(btw i tried just copying the sky box properties and stuff from the actual game maps but i didn't know about the "fake backdrop" thing you have to check) ANYWAY.....this is just 1 example of my laziness x]

Omega 27 Elite

oh another question, how do you edit the existing textures from unreal, cause they're in packages and idk how to open them and get the specific textures. i have GIMP and i know how to use it so the actual editing wont be a problem. i looked everywhere on the forum but i couldnt find anything about this

also i asked this earlier but how do you delete something that has a "null static reference" or whatever cause i have those in some of my maps(cause the way i placed something it didnt work or something) and it doesnt show up in my map but in the game it has either the prop or a white box

Tycon

ok simple you open the tex browser in unreal select your tex (NO shaders, texpanners etc) go to File>Export. choose a location and a file type (any type will do, i prefer PNG for no particular reason XD) just edit and convert to PCX when u save (only PCX, TGA, and a few others can be imported, and PCX is the only one available in GIMP

Omega 27 Elite

ok awesome lol i just added another question to my last post before i saw you answered this one

ok i tried it and it wouldn't save it, like ill name it and save it as a jpg(i also tried png just to see if it worked) but when i look for it, it isn't there

Tycon

hmm.. ill have to try it myself and see
but for the null static reference just build all a menu should show up with a warining sign about the thing you added. click on the warning in hit the Delete Actor or the Select actor. if you hit select, you get teleported in the 3d view so the object in question os behind you(O.o) then you just delet it there

Omega 27 Elite

ah thank you!! i have been trying to figure that out for ages. i've tried clicking on it before but i wasnt clicking on the right place

Tycon

atip in that regard: before you add an actor you're not sure about, double clickon it in the browser. the defaul props for that actor will show up. look in Display and DisplayAdvanced and look if it has a Mesh, SkeletalMesh, or Static mesh. if it has at least one of these, it will show up in unreal