Sinlge player tutorials.

Started by Tycon, June 11, 2011, 02:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tycon

A number of tuts for helping you figure out how to make SP maps of your own, in addition to understanding the things in the retail SP maps.

Basic level(pathing):

create a map about this shape: ___
                              |_ _|
                               [ ]
                               [ ]
                               [ ]
                             __[ ]__
                            |       |
                            |   X   |
                            |_______|

with you starting at the X and moving to the other end.
Bad guys will be in the hallway in the little dent/cave thingies in the wall.
Add the 3 members of Delta Squad.
Add Trandoshan Mercs in the dent/caves, 1 per cave.

Now if you right-click on any of the floors, a little menu shows up. click on Add Path Node.
Add a number of Path Nodes around the map.
Build Paths.
Right-click on the 3D window and check Show Paths. You will see green, white, orange, and red lines connecting your Path Nodes.
Try to get rid of the orange and red lines by moving nodes around and adding new ones.
Nodes are what the pawns use to get around the map. the lines are like roads that they use to navigate.
Green and white mean there is a good connection.
Orange means a poor connection, but the pawns will use it anyway.
Red means Unreal editor wants to connect, but can't. Pawns won't use these.

Go into the Actor Browser and expand Navigation Points. Select CoverPoint. Add some in your where the O's are:

|O  O|
     --  --
     |O  O|
     --  --
     |O  O|
     --  --
     |O  O|
     --  --
     |    |
_____    ______
|               |
|               |
|      \/       |
|      /\       |
|               |
|_______________|

You will notice that the CoverPoints have an arrow. Rotate them until they all point down towards the starting room.
Add some CoverPoints facing up as shown:

|O  O|
     --  --
     |O  O|
     --  --
     |O  O|
     --  --
     |O  O|
     --  --
     |    |
_____    ______
|    O    O     |
|               |
|      \/       |
|      /\       |
|               |
|_______________|

CoverPoints are what the pawns use when the take cover.
Their AI will tell them to go to the nearest CoverPoint facing the enemy.
The CoverPoints facing down are for trandos to use when fighting you on your way up.
The points facing up are for your commandos to use on their way up.

Build Paths and see how the CoverPoints are linked to the nodes. Adjust them as needed.
Build All and save.

Open in singleplayer mode as follows. Start a LAN server. type in 'start mapname'.
Enjoy!

Adding moving doors between rooms:
Adding doors:

Find a door static mesh and add it as a mover(see mover tutorial).
Move the door to the doorway between the starting room and the hallway.
Set the door so that Base 0 is down and Base 1 is up out of the map(again, see mover tut).
Add another door between the hallway and the finishing room in the same way.

At the first door, on the starting room side, add a ScriptedTrigger(Actor Browser > AIScript > ScriptedSequence > Scripted Trigger).
Double click on the ScriptedTrigger. in the AIScript tab, select Actions and click on Add.
On the pull-down menu, select WaitForTimer, then click New.
In the new section that shows up, set PauseTime to 5.
Select Actions and Add again.
This time, get TriggerEvent in the pulldown menu, and click new.
In the new section, set Event to FirstDoor.
Double click on the first door, and set Events > Tag to FirstDoor, and Object > InitialState to TriggerToggle.

What this means is that the ScriptedTrigger will count 5 seconds after the start of the map,
and then trigger the event FirstDoor. That means anything with the Tag FirstDoor will be activated and do whatever they do.

In the Actor Browser, go to ActivateItem > HackTerminal > HackTerminalRAS and add one next to the second door, on the hallway side, like this:
Terminal goes where the '>' is.

_____[DOOR]_____
   |        >|
   |         |
   --       --
   |         |

Set the second door's Tag to SecondDoor, and InitialState to TriggerToggle.
In Actor Browser, open MarkerIconActor > SquadMarker > CTMarker > MarkerHackTerminalNative > MarkerHackTerminal and add one.
The marker looks like a hologram of a clone hacking a computer. put it up by the wall, and adjust the terminal so it lines up with his hand.
Double click on the marker, and while it's properties are up, select the terminal.
In the marker's properties, in the Marker tab, select Anchor and click Use. Also, select Actors, click Add, and click Use.

Open the terminal's properties, and select the marker.
In the terminal properties, select Marker > SquadMarker and click Use.
Still in the terminal properties, select HackTerminal > HackedState > Event and set to SecondDoor.

This will make it so that when the terminal is hacked, the door will open.

Build All.

Open map in SinglePlayer mode. 5 seconds after the level starts, the door will open, showing the Trando ambushes.
Fight your way past them and hack the computer to get into the next room and end the level.

Adding factories to your map:
Adding pawn factories.

Here we will add factories to make the Trandos. If you play the map like it was at the previous tutorial,
you might hear the mercs snarling and talking before the door opens. To avoid this, we add the factories.

Actor Browser > Factory > PawnFactory and add one where each Merc is. Delete the Mercs.
Rotate the factories so their arrows are facing the first door.
Hold down the control button and select are the factories. Right click on one and select Open Actor Properties(10).
The collective properties of all the factories will open.
Events > Tag to FirstDoor. The same way the door opens when the event 'FirstDoor' is triggered, the factories will start spawning.
Factory > Capacity to 1. This means the factories will each spawn 1 Merc.
Factory > Prototype(a pulldown menu) to TrandoshanMerc.

Now when the door opens, the Mercs will spawn, ready to fight.

More to be added later!

I just do this to show off my brother's photoshop skillz :D

Alvar007

Thx for the tutorial!!! :D
I'm working on an custom map. When it's finished, I would like you to try it, if you don't mind ;)

Alvar007

I have a problem :(  Paths in between doors are not connected. I'm trying to use a door node but I don't know how to attach a mover to this node. Pls help!

Dark Lord

guessing as ive never messed with pathing, but have you tried the mover's trigger rather than the mover itself?

at any rate, i usually check the single player maps to see how LA did it in these situations
Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade

Alvar007

I did all what you said bro.. I looked SP maps to see how this works, I have tried with triggers and all components but it doesn't work :(
I also tried looking in the unreal wiki in the door headland but it didn't help.
This is quite important becuase pawns won't pass through the door and also if I die beyond the door the game says: "Delta Squad not available" because paths are not connected and game thinks that they are very far but they aren't!
So I need help with this pls I will appreciate any useful information.

RyuzakiL.Lawliet

Under the mover properties, under collison advanced, there is something called path colliding (or something like that. Just set it to true (or false) don't remember ( just know you have to change it).
Then your mates will be able to pass the door :)

Alvar007

Thanks. I'll try it and I'll tell you :D

kram

If anyone actually wants it i could write a few quick tutorials on different SP things. I used to mess around with SP alot so i knew how most things in the game were done. I figured out the repelling intros, ai scripts, triggered sequences(walk through a alley, windows blow out, grenades come through, trandos jump/repel through etc.) plus much more. One of the things i was most proud of was something explosive that was on a wire that when triggered would travel down the wire into a wall blowing a hole through it. I also did more things such as properties editing and a little bit of coding.

If you want to know how to do something, just say, and i will try to remember how it is done.

RyuzakiL.Lawliet

Well I'm actually working on a SP campaign and everything you said was really interessant. So if you can make a tutorial for the different things you know, it will be really useful (not only for me but for others :p)
Particularly for the Gunship Intro; cause my doors won't never open and don't know how i can solve it...

Alvar007

Indeed, you can make a tutorial about paths :D That would be great

Alvar007

Quote from: RyuzakiL.Lawliet on May 15, 2013, 05:08:01 AM
Under the mover properties, under collison advanced, there is something called path colliding (or something like that. Just set it to true (or false) don't remember ( just know you have to change it).
Then your mates will be able to pass the door :)
THX THX A LOT!!! Now it works and Delta Squad can go by their own and can pass through the door!!! I repeat, Thanks :D

RyuzakiL.Lawliet

Cool :D Btw can you send me the map in PM? :) Or add me on xfire (devilryuzaki) you'll probably be able to help me with my mod :)

Alvar007

Of course I'll do! :D It's almost complete, so I'll send it to you soon. Still, I'll add you on xfire and I'll help you with whatever you need ;)

RyuzakiL.Lawliet

When are you online? So i'll know when i can ask you something ^^