DM_Infiltrated - FINAL

Started by arramus, February 16, 2007, 05:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arramus

DM_Infiltrated is final and ready to download here.
http://files.filefront.com/DM_Infiltrat ... einfo.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey all.

I spent last year using the Monolith Editor and had a real blast modding FEAR. The AI work very well online and we've had quite the COOP fest.

For this year I'm looking to get back into Unreal Editing and also dabble with BF2142 mapping when that editor is released.

A lot of game developers are switching away from old game engines and licensing the UE due to its ease of programming and award winning features. To ensure the transition to Unreal Engine 3 Editing is a smooth one I'm going to brush up with the RC mapping. I haven't touched UE for over a year so it'll take some time to get back into it all but to start with I'll make a map for the Ecliptical Realms Bacta events.

This one is called Squizzle for the moment and will be split into 3 distinct zones - a Rep, Trando and a neutral area. There'll be plenty of routes linking to clash points and it'll use lighter weapon pickups to reflect what the ER gamers prefer.

Here's a few screenies of the main base area for Trandos.

The ramp leading out of the main room is a flat additive brush. The mesh type texture will allow you to see underneath so I'll light it up a little to give it some atmosphere.

These teeth are far too rusted to chop down on you...I hope.

A little defensive cover for base attacks.

explode

DUDE!!!
Arammus is back!!
Three cheers for arramus!
Hip hip hooray!
Hip hip hooray!
Hip hip hooray!

Hybrid_Soldier196

Welcome back Arramus!!!

DooFi

whoa, Arramus is back again! W00t!
btw you can already practice with the new unreal engine. The game RoboBlitz which is available via Steam, "ships" with the editor! The game is known as crap though..

{MotR}Weapon

Looks like another kick butt map, I'll be sure to download it on my gaming PC asap.  :)

And woot for Arramus coming back. :D

arramus

Quote from: "DooFi"whoa, Arramus is back again! W00t!
btw you can already practice with the new unreal engine. The game RoboBlitz which is available via Steam, "ships" with the editor! The game is known as crap though..

Hey DooFi,

I played the demo of RoboBlitz to get a feel of the game physics and new look. The concept of RoboBlitz felt like a macromedia flash puzzle but it was still nice to see how the engine runs.

It's good to see everyone still working with the Unreal Engine and I have a lot of catching up to do to see who's still on the scene. Thanks for the welcome back.

arramus

Testing a little vertex editing to create curves to break up the straights a little. It can certainly have its tricky moments.

DooFi

Use the revolving extrude in the 2D Shape ed for curved hallways :D

arramus

I'm glad you're still here DooFi.

Always able to offer help and advice. The 2D shape editor makes some beautiful curved brushes very quickly and all in perfect propoption. This is a useful feature I'll put to good use.

arramus

The main central base area has been expanded with a couple more routes. This will make for more clash points and also more routes.

I'll either make another base like this for the Rep and have a central battle zone or I'm toying with a more Trando style map throughout with a landing area that will make for a Rep invasion. I'll see how the central area comes on.

Squad_Sammaron

WB arramus! :D how you doin? i dont really care :D jk
First off,most people refer to me as Lord Sammaron, k?
hey i finished a map finnally? it's under best map category (called Trench Battle or something or the other.
Once again,
QuoteWB arramus!
"Testosterone - You\'ve never seen so much man in one place."
      Title of Regal, Tales of Symphonia
      Stolen by Sammaron, Lord of All

arramus

Hey Sammaron,

I took a look at Trench Battle and it has all the makings of a decent sniper map. Lots of trenches, and cover to take aim.

----------------------------------

Here are a few more images of areas outside the main Trando hive. There are 2 smaller areas and a main Trando launch pad area.

Here's a UE look at the scale and layout. You'll see a lot of SMs in the new areas. With all the extra detail, this will need optimising with Zone Portals to spit it up into bite size renders.

I'm moving towards the idea of a Trando base that is stormed by the Reps. I'm thinking to add a terrain area just outside the base where the Rep landing craft will touch down. This will lead to the main entrance that will have seen some heavy munitions tear through the gates.

DooFi

okay i feel pretty dumb now, but I did not use UEd for some time and i seem to remember the pinkish brushes are volumes. What are these volumes on the floor for?!

Looks fairly awesome! I'm afraid I will never get to play it. But this is certainly one of the few maps I'd download if RC worked lol

arramus

I covered the main floor with flat brushes to get the grating effect. Unfortunately, they do not come with any player blocking (just like those light sticksin the landing area) so I had to use some blocking volumes to account for that. It makes for a little more work and doesn't block gunfire or grenades but it will stop players sinking under the floor.

DooFi

Aaah, that makes sense. xD I'm stupid..

Btw: You could also make a collision for the static mesh and save the mesh to myLevel, I don't know if thats better for the performance, but it seems logical since the engine then puts the SM and the collision into the vga-memory and does not have to calculate tons of brushes. Guess it's worth a try if you get fps problems :)

Tut on adding collision
tut with my own design :P