KF-CarryOnUp (MIP)

Started by arramus, July 01, 2009, 09:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arramus

Just a concept image for an idea I'm testing. This map will centre on a council office building that's under construction. It'll be a multifloor environment and include the ground floor/construction yard. There'll be perimeter fencing to restrict gameplay to the construction area but a backdrop of buildings for cosmetic appeal.

arramus

Here are a few more update images.

I added some lighting to each floor and a pulsating aircraft light to the rooftop. There are 7 playable levels including the ground floor. I'm planning on two traders on the ground floor, and one on each of the others.

The 6th floor is the top level players can reach although there is partial construction above. From this height you have a good view of the road below and the tops of smaller surrounding buildings while there are still some higher buildings obstructing the skyline.

Each level will have two staircases although upon reaching a new level you will have to run across the floor to another flight. This will ensure players have to keep moving both horizontally and vertically without being able to hog the stairs for too long.

JubalHarshaw

Nice pics, looking forward to play it.

arramus

Welcome to the forum JubalHarshaw.

Sandcrawler

Looks really good so far, the one thing that bugs me a bit is the stairs, nothing is holding them up :o

I never have figured out how you get great looking maps out so fast  :lol:
This is my super cool signature, if you think you can best it then make one and Personal Message it to me. :)

arramus

The staircase is locked into the floor above and below. There will also be some big long ugly cylindrical metal rods going all the way through the staircase from top to bottom. You'll see soon enough.

To be honest, the main architecture is 4 static meshes. There's the round uprights, square uprights, a crossbeam, and the stairs. There are 7 brushes for the floors. It was pretty much repeat and move on.

The time consuming thing was the backdrop. Moving everything about and getting the  lights and a road in were tiresome at some points. I only really wanted to use the SMs for roads and we're limited to straights. Manipulating the buildings and layering the roads to give the effect of a twist in the road was tricky.

The jump actors are cool but they also make players jump which is a pain as I only wanted the bots to be affected. In that case, I may just add Spawners outside the perimeter and let them leap up a few flights of stairs. It's going to be tricky and frustrating doing bot work but it'll be worth it.

A very basic trader Portacabin will suffice as I want to maintain the construction blandity.

arramus

There are two traders on the ground floor and one on every floor upwards. For the most part, trader locations will direct gameplay as players typically move towards the next available trader. While there is a slightly disproportional weighting to be taken back to the ground floor, players will constantly be at the mercy of the random trader selections. I think the abundance of trader cabins and carefully placed Zombie Spawners will offer less predictable gameplay.

The models I'd like to add from default props include:

Ceiling and window drapes
Glass windows stacks
Boxpiles
Plasterboard stacks
Vent shafts unmounted/mounted
Lattice framework
Machinery

and I'd also like to add custom props that will benefit cosmetic and gameplay factors.

This is a building next to my company that I've been watching from demolition to its current state. This stage is a little too advanced in the process for where I'd like to be but it gives some idea of where I'm heading for.

This side image in particular best reflects a range of stages for each floor.

arramus

And here's how that partial glazing effect can be applied in KF using the KF Glass actor.

Pristine condition.

Zombie damage

Break through

Smashing

With a number of window drapes above this will add variety and give upper and lower levels a unique backdrop flavour even without adding other props.

knightmare106

not necessary to say how nice this is lookking :P

-about the traders, if they are laid out how you say, wouldnt it be a little too easy if the new trader is picked right downstairs and not much in my way to slow me down? sounds like i could just stick to where i just shopped and when its over run up or downstairs and be there in no time.

-planning on having holes in the floor by any chance?

-will there be a crane :O? would be cool if occasionally swung around and pushed people or specimans off the top floor lol :P

arramus

The traders are on opposite sides on each floor and the sets of staircases are also on opposite sides so you really do have to keep moving if you're on your way up. You can't just run in a spiral all the way to the top.

If you're on the way down...then there is always the option of taking one of the holes and suffering a bit of damage.

I'd love to have a moving crane in here but after trying a mover in KF-Brewery I found that they don't function too well in game if you want to keep them moving all the time. The brain in Brewery had moving eyes that were looping but this really effected rendering and framerate dropped in servers from a smooth 80+ to about 20 just with that addition alone. Maybe a non looping triggered mover at some point. I'll have to see how it functions.

knightmare106

good luck :) it might take alot less toll on framerate if the loop isnt repeating as much

JubalHarshaw

Quote from: "arramus"Welcome to the forum JubalHarshaw.
Thanks arramus. Nice site you have here. And why I'm not surprised to find my (and also of most of our team) favorite maps hosted here  :D ?

arramus

Now we have the whitelist we can start adding them all manually.  :mrgreen:
We also need to bring other mappers here to ask them to upload by themselves.

arramus

Added some more windows and mesh to the sides of the building. The place I'm standing now is the heaviest rendering point and FPS drops to 30. Due to the nature of the architecture, the majority of optimising tools will be anti zone portals and as each floor populates there'll be more opportunities optmising. The majority of architecture is repeated static meshes and I wasn't expecting such a render load in this corner but that's the way it is and something that will be cleaned up. Apart from that area we're seeing 60+ throughout.

Add the central lift shaft. This helps to split up each floor a little for both smoother rendering and as a visual block which will allow more spawners to function on the same floor as players. To start of the cosmetics there are a few plasterboard piles dotted. Now to start populating with props.

arramus

The fog is a little heavier than previous builds and I'm quite happy as it is. There'll be a lot of internal props and fillers to break up the texture repetition so a little less fog will allow a better view of all that.

The top floor has no lighting beyond what's emitted from the moon light setting.

The view down from the top is pretty far and there are many places to see, or fall over, the edge.

Here's the other side of the building away from the glass. It has internal plastering and external cladding over the corner sections. This has improved rendering on two corners of the building from outside and gives a landmark for orientation.