Gimp Help

Started by Delrahn, April 16, 2010, 01:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delrahn

So ok, I make my pictures. Cool. but what type of files are the rc textures? I don't know which file type to save my image as.

TimBob12

The supported formats for import are :

.bmp
.pcx
.tga
.dds

although I recommend either .bmp or .tga but most games use .tga as a default for textures.  To import your texture, go into the texture browser and select file - import.  Then if you are importing your own texture in the top box type a name for a category that you can easily identitfy.  Then if you want to put it in a sub category type that in the box below.  Then in the name box type what you want your texture to be called.  Leave the other settings as they are and press ok.  You will then be able to navigate to your category and sub category to find your texture.  When you exit UnrealED be sure to save your texture package when you are asked to otherwise you won't be able to use it again.

If you are making a skin then you will need to back up the appropriate texture package from

C:Program FilesLucas ArtsSWRCGame DataTextures

and then import your updated image to the appropriate category and sub category with the same name of the texture you want to replace.  Then again save the package when asked to.  You then can go ingame and check whether the texture you used worked how you wanted it to.

These images are an attempt at updating the clone armour.  All my clones now have this.

All my clones all have this texture.  Alternatively you can edit individual clones properties to have a certain defined texture.  But I like my texture :D

To export a texture select the texture you want to export, go to File - Export.  Give it a name and choose a type.  Again I reccomend .tga.

Phew done...  :shock:

Hope I helped

I might have to make a tutorial out of this  :!:

Delrahn

Thank you, but when I go to import and then click ok, UED says "Unable to import because dimensions are not powers of two (640x480)" how do I import my textures?

TimBob12

what are the dimensions of your image and are they divisible by two?

Generally i only edit exported textures.

Delrahn

I fixed it. I had to create images with dimensions of 512x512.(I looked at 007:TempleTextures).

TimBob12

Great! glad I could help.

When the new tutorial system comes up I'll post a tutorial. ;)

Delrahn

frazscotland

if you can get your head round editing relevant properties references. its easier to create nu texture paks. especially for campaign or mp character skins. its better to make a mod that includes a reset of sorts. if someone has the bother of ahving to completely reinstall their game it dissuades a lot of ppl. if your mod consistes of nu skins that are in seperate textures created by yourself. the reset dusnt need to fix the altered textures , significantly reducing the overall pak siz.  8-)
XFIRE  FRAZSCOTLAND

TimBob12

Hey thanks, how would I go about doing complete reskins for sections of the game using new texture packs?  Would I have to update the actor properties?

frazscotland

Hmmm. i dunno what you mean "complete sections " dude
if you mean the whole game jus slowly wurk your way thru improting nu skins ! or if you just mean characters ? dats a lot easier
you seem v clued up timbob for a young guy (not being patronising). wel ifits characters
you know say for commandos u duplicate the texture and accompanying shader to a nu texture pak of your choice name clonecommando textures or whatever .ifits for mp then nema them MP_CloneCommandoA - E and have an accompanying shader named same , then exit and update your texture pak remembering to end it  .utx   the start up unreal again and open your texture pak and for each shader PROPERITES and change the path in the 3 cells usually so its referncing the texture in your nu pak . then exit and update it.
you have to have the textures in place before you reference from properties in actor class browser or itl go wonky or not wurk..
if thats what u mean dload darklords camotrooper mod or any of the stuff ive made and have a nosey at the properties.  8-)
there a guy on lucasforums demongo recently made a full rc reskin job . his ispretty good i made it into an installer for him . 8-)
XFIRE  FRAZSCOTLAND

Delrahn

I temporarily changed how Sev looks. In unreal ed I just went to yyy#letter a-k and went to CommandoDelta07>ActorPropeties> Display advanced, and changed his commando-with-helmet "mesh" to SkeletalMesh'Clone.CloneNoHelmet' and then went to display, and put my two skins in the skins folder.     To see the screenshot, follow this link below to my Xfire Screenshot.

Delrahn

Here's a link to a video I made(The screenshot is waaaayyyy better quality then the video, but the video shows DeltaSquad, not just sev).

http://www.xfire.com/video/28639c/

frazscotland

You guys can change the suqad id numbers and names also if you want for your mod !!
Heres how to do...Open Unreal ED goto ActroClassBrowser PAWN,CTPAWN,REPUBLIC,CLONECOMMANDO
there listed is sev,42 and 62 . If u right clik Default properties on any 1 of them and goto
HIDDEN and scroll down youll see a cel for HudDescription and HudNickname
there you can change the name and number appearing on your HUD..
 Of course the audio will still refer to them as their original names. so is better to not stray too far from original eg 77 or 24 262 etc hehe
 :lol:
XFIRE  FRAZSCOTLAND

Delrahn

Thanks! I was wondering where I could change that.