Common Republic Commando and UnrealEd issues

Started by RC-1266, October 26, 2010, 03:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RC-1266

I've seen many loose threads about issues for both Republic Commando itself and UnrealEd, but I thought it might be useful to put them all together in one thread.
The issues that came up to me thus far are listed below.

REPUBLIC COMMANDO
Make sure to download and install the 1.00 patch first, unless you have the Best of PC or Steam version of Republic Commando, because in that case the fixes are installed along with the game.
Download it from:
ftp://ftp.lucasarts.com/patches/pc/RepComm1_00.exe

When I startup Republic Commando, the game crashes and shows the following error:
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program: ...RepublicCommando\GameData\System\SWRepublicCommando.exe
abnormal program termination

Your issue can be solved with an updated executable.

Please perform these steps:
1. Open the folder 'C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Republic
Commando\GameData\System\'
2. Rename the 'swrepubliccommando.exe' to 'swrepubliccommando.exe.OLD' in the
folder above (Right-click on this executable and go down to 'rename')
3. Download this zip-archive:
http://download.securom.com/support/000219/swrepubl.zip
4. Extract the new 'swrepubliccommando.exe' from the downloaded zip-archive
into the folder 'C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Republic
Commando\GameData\System\'
5. Start the new 'swrepubliccommando.exe'

Republic Commando itself starts up fine, but as soon as I start a campaign mission or an online game, my game crashes
Start up Republic Commando, go to Options --> Graphics and set Bumpmapping to Low. Apply the settings, the game should be running fine now.

UNREAL EDITOR

I can't find UnrealEd, where is it?
Make sure to download and install the 1.00 patch first, unless you have the Best of PC or Steam version of Republic Commando, because in that case UnrealEd is installed along with the game.
Download it from:
ftp://ftp.lucasarts.com/patches/pc/RepComm1_00.exe
Unrealed.exe is located in the C:\Program Files\Lucasarts\Star Wars Republic Commando\GameData\System\ folder.

My UnrealEd crashes when I start up
1. There might be an error in one of the UnrealEd files.
- Move the 'Unrealed.ini' and 'Unreal.int' to your desktop and restart UnrealEd. If everything works fine, it should recreate these two files, but in case UnrealEd doesn't, you still have both files.

2. When running Vista or Windows 7, high or medium bumpmapping settings might be the issue.
- Start up Republic Commando, go to Options --> Graphics and set Bumpmapping to Low. Apply the settings, exit Republic Commando and restart UnrealEd.
- Or, go into the default Republic Commando folder --> GameData --> System
(C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Republic Commando\GameData\System)

Open the file 'system.ini'.

Look for the following lines:
[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
BloomQuality=2
Bloom=255
BloomFilter=230
BlurEnabled=True
FilmGrain=5
NoDistort=True
Bumpmapping=true
BumpmappingQuality=2
Shadows=True
ShadowLength=350
ShadowsPerFrame=2

Then replace them with these lines:
[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
BloomQuality=2
Bloom=255
BloomFilter=230
BlurEnabled=True
FilmGrain=5
NoDistort=True
Bumpmapping=false
BumpmappingQuality=0
Shadows=True
ShadowLength=350
ShadowsPerFrame=2

After UnrealEd started up, all my viewports show up blank/white
To make the viewports appear again, click on "View -> Viewports -> Configure..." and select a new viewport-layout.

When I scroll/browse through the textures browser, UnrealEd crashes.
Go to the textures browser, go to Filter and uncheck 'Textures'. This will decrease the amount of textures you can use, but UnrealEd won't crash because of this.

Sources/Thanks to: Arramus, Dark Clone Volo, Darktrooper, Sandcrawler, SecuRom and {CCP}VI

Slaughter

Thanks , I've always been able to get unreal to work on my XP, but never on my Vista!! Thx, now I can mod on either computer.

TimBob12

Thanls, for this.  I personally have never had any problems but this should be a great help.

leeroy

thank you and can you tell me what bumpmapping is? ive looked at details closly and enabled and disabled bumpmapping and have never seen a difference  ???
sombody please tell me what im doing wrong or if sombody just hates me i dont care if its just becuase you hate me for talking about other games and stuff but if i knew where to find the modding sites (were you MAKE the maps) then i wouldnt be only talking about games

Sandcrawler

In RC/ Unreal Engine 2 and 2.5 to Bumpmapping is a joke. It was a workaround to add bumpmapping for Nvidia cards (only) at the time, nowday no recent graphics cards support the bump-mapping workaround. So just shut it to low.

UE2.5 does use Detail Textures, that acieve a simular goal. Just search for UE2 Detail Textures.

If you want to see the effects of Bump-mapping look at a more recent games, such as Fallout 3, or New Vegas both use bumpmapping. What bumpmapping does is create the illiusion of a bump on a texture. It looks like its coming out at you, or receding but its not. It can be broke at extreame angles (so the texture just looks flat)
This is my super cool signature, if you think you can best it then make one and Personal Message it to me. :)

leeroy

sombody please tell me what im doing wrong or if sombody just hates me i dont care if its just becuase you hate me for talking about other games and stuff but if i knew where to find the modding sites (were you MAKE the maps) then i wouldnt be only talking about games

RC-1266

Quote from: Sandcrawler on October 29, 2010, 05:33:52 PM
In RC/ Unreal Engine 2 and 2.5 to Bumpmapping is a joke. It was a workaround to add bumpmapping for Nvidia cards (only) at the time, nowday no recent graphics cards support the bump-mapping workaround. So just shut it to low.

UE2.5 does use Detail Textures, that acieve a simular goal. Just search for UE2 Detail Textures.

If you want to see the effects of Bump-mapping look at a more recent games, such as Fallout 3, or New Vegas both use bumpmapping. What bumpmapping does is create the illiusion of a bump on a texture. It looks like its coming out at you, or receding but its not. It can be broke at extreame angles (so the texture just looks flat)

So the workaround you mention is like some sort of an in-engine system to apply and display bumpmaps?
Somehow my UnrealEd won't start up with them on high, but in-game I can set it to high and just play. A friend of mine who has Vista as well can't. And I've an Nvidia 9800.

Sandcrawler

Not in-engine. The first Unreal Engine that supports bumpmapping is Unreal Engine 3.

I believe the workaround used a hack on the engine as well as the proprietary Nvidia drivers.

I'm not really sure why it works for some people and not for others, and is it actualy working when you have it on high? or not that you can tell.

I'll put togeather an example in the UDK of bumpmapping using a RC texture, here ina  bit to show the difference.
This is my super cool signature, if you think you can best it then make one and Personal Message it to me. :)

RC-1266

Quote from: Sandcrawler on October 30, 2010, 09:11:12 AM
Not in-engine. The first Unreal Engine that supports bumpmapping is Unreal Engine 3.

I believe the workaround used a hack on the engine as well as the proprietary Nvidia drivers.

I'm not really sure why it works for some people and not for others, and is it actualy working when you have it on high? or not that you can tell.

I'll put togeather an example in the UDK of bumpmapping using a RC texture, here ina  bit to show the difference.

Hmm I just checked and there's no difference indeed. Still, I recall there being a difference when I played on my old XP computer. The videocard that used to be on it broke, but if I look on my old screenshots (800x600 lol) there seems to be some sort of shineyness on the weapons, but i can't really determine whether it's better or not.