Turorial Map

Started by Sandcrawler, May 16, 2009, 10:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandcrawler

The idea for this map came from Turret Defence. I wanted to see if it could work, if the zombies would navigate the trench, or if they would stop and try to attack you threw the Blocking Volume. So far it has worked.

I doubt I will ever try a real Turret Defence map, but this has worked out well for a tutorial map.

Screen Shots:
This is my super cool signature, if you think you can best it then make one and Personal Message it to me. :)

FooToo

Can you go into a little more detail about the path nodes. I place them on the map but the zombie like to stay in the spawn still and dont like to come out.I mean the path nodes should be like a cookie trail right? they follow till it ends.

Sandcrawler

I just updated the Path Nodes tutorial To include a way to test where the Path Nodes are connecting. I also added a tidbit about how they should be place. They should be in clear sight of at least one other path node.

A cookie trail is one way to look at it, but there are other things at play, the bots have thier own goals, the Zombies are trying to get to you, and so they will follow the shortest route that they see. If you open a retail map and look at the pathing they have the maps covered in paths, idealy this is what you want, but you also want to do it with as few Path actors as possible. The other thing to keep in mind is pickups, spawn points, and teleporters all work as Navigation points as well.

I hope this helped, I can expand on the tutorial more if there is something specific.
This is my super cool signature, if you think you can best it then make one and Personal Message it to me. :)

arramus

There's a very useful example contained within the:

C:Program FilesSteamsteamappscommonkillingfloorMappingGuide

folder.

It has a Mapping Guide which is useful for modders who have at least made a map before and a tutorial map presenting Zombie Volumes, Blocking Volumes, a Trader Output, Path Nodes, and other essentials.