New Map MAKER: Need some help :p

Started by Joker, June 07, 2009, 01:31:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joker

Well i've NEVER made a map.

Really this map is completely random and a test, a collab of bits and peices of which i hope to have in a map one day
I dont have screenshots are anything yet im not worrying about that till the end anyways.ive seen Sandcrawlers and the other's of the sites work, I was wondering, "How the hell do these pro map makers have a empty site?"

Im not really sucking up you guys have awesome maps, but in the making of mine i came across a bug with the pruning of my reachspecs and was wondering if one of you could look at it in the editor and see if you can help show me the problem eh? I removed all zombie spawns and everything since i know where the bugs are for those :p

oh yeah i forgot a link >.> here's map: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ymwtvnmw5kd
Please note its not really a beta or a finish like i said just a collab of random junk :D? and i have like 50 bugs that i will fix

arramus

It's hard to poinpoint the exact cause as reachspecs are typically generated for pathnodes and should reset once you remove them all.

After removing that HUGE stack of ammo the reachspecs issue reduced dramatically but has not gone totally.
After removing all pickups things were smooth again.

I think your map has corrupted somewhere along the way and I'd suggest scrapping this one and starting again.

Things to consider as they could also add to the issue:
Your null materials error was caused by 6 (or so) overlapping brushes that were subtracted multiple times on top of each other. Don't overlap brushes at all.

One of your static meshes does not have a texture and is also returning a null material error. Delete it.

Good luck in there.

Joker

arramus the one thing i dont want to do is scrap this map D:

id rather have a corrupted map then delete my first map lol

but umm

yeah i need help with the over lapping brushes

And few other stuff but hey, is it good for a first try? o.o ive never even used any SDK xD

arramus

Quote from: "Joker"is it good for a first try? o.o ive never even used any SDK xD

It's an absolute gem  :mrgreen: ...now get back in there and fix it up.

Joker

Well heres a quieston does static meshes that overlap brushes cause errors or do static meshes count AS brushes?

Sandcrawler

Nope, overlapping Static Meshes are fine, its just the BSP (Brushes) that shouldn't overlap. Static Meshes can also stick out of your brushwork.
This is my super cool signature, if you think you can best it then make one and Personal Message it to me. :)

Joker

Need help i was fiddiling with properties on a "test map" i guess you could call it just adding things and checking to see what i can make, well

Now i cant open any properties except surface properties
? Anyone ever heard of this bug?

arramus

I saw this bug before in another Unreal based game but I couldn't open ANY properties at all.

Basically, the properties were opening but off screen. By increasing the resolution I was able to see the properties again...that is until it happened again.

It's happened to me once in the KF editor and all I did was restart and it restored.

Joker

Restart the editor or the whole computer? o.o

Joker

Oi, I fixed thanks arramus, Now o.o i need help with an idea lol.

DO you think its possible to make an explosion emitter cause damage? and if it is mind telling me how :/

I was thinking about making one of fire but id rather have the fire hidden or a mover, move you in a pit of fire o.o (lol i want traps xD)

arramus

Health damage can be added by using a volume that reduces health when a player walks through it. Simply make a box using the red brush and select Volume > LavaVolume from the left side menu.

Look in KF-Office at the player spawning points.

On the police car is a fire emitter and a lava volume. When you walk in the volume it causes 1.0 damage per second.

You can have a mover trapdoor and make people fall into that lava volume or you can make a mover push somebody into it...like a sliding Indiana Jones wall.

Joker

yeah me and a freind are discussing this right now im making a land mine trap probally around the map using the static mesh = mine lol

but yeah we also discussed some of the traps leading just into a hole that some players like to be ass holes and not kill them selves (Fire pit comes in handy)

what i did to learn about lava volumes was look at the perk builder map xD i wanted to know how he made fire work and cause damage, Thanks arramus :D

Joker

I havnt worked on it alot lately but i have increased the size for the bloats and fleshpounds (their heads were always in the ceiling >.>) and added some stuff :/ HOPEFULLY the room with the truck will be more decorated id rather have players camp there :D (I have been thinking about adding a giant maze for that part with traps :/)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/wyjzxazwomj/KF-Shooting Endlessly.rom

anyways what do you think

---I still have alot more too do too call this a map :/

Joker

(god im posting alot -.-")

Alrighty I need help with something:

Glass...

I've looked at Offices and Arcade-Shopping Center

IT came down to what look like a sheet with texture on top with a KFglass? i think it was called?

Could anyone tell me how or where to find glass? O_o?

Sandcrawler

In Lab its a Mover, when it takes damage of something it shatters, then each piece can break apart.

I just copied mine out, just make sure that you get all of the pieces. If you made one yourself its about 10 pieces to be lined up with each other.
This is my super cool signature, if you think you can best it then make one and Personal Message it to me. :)