terrain zoning

Started by Dark Lord, May 24, 2011, 02:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lord

just wondering if anyone had any experience with this:
i am working on a highly detailed terrain area, but am limited in detail by what a typical computer is able to handle, because obviously i would like to balance looks and performance as much as possible
therefore, i tried creating different zones on a terrain map, but when i zoned off one section, the terrain no longer appeared in the zone that the terrain did not originate from
i also tried placing a second zoneinfo in the zone that had terrain zone marked as true, but the terrain would still not appear
yet it seems like it would be possible to me, considering that the SP levels have different zones, but using the same terrain map
any ideas?
Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade

Sandcrawler

You don't normally use zones on a terrain.

My Best suggestion is to use Distance Fog, play with the settings to get it how you want. The client doesn't load anything outside of the distance fog radius.

You can use an Anti-Portal to tell the client to not render anything past it. Useful for if you have something under the terrain, or a building, sticking an anti-portal in stops it from rendering.
This is my super cool signature, if you think you can best it then make one and Personal Message it to me. :)

Tycon

Yeah I think the anitportals is how you do zoning with terrain,

I just do this to show off my brother's photoshop skillz :D

Dark Lord

i did the fog and it works very well now, also adds the type of ambience i was going for. thanks
Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade