Things that make you go Hmmmm

Started by Darktrooper, September 04, 2009, 12:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darktrooper

While working on thismap that I am never happy with, I decided to use plate glass for some of the doors. This looks really cool but I wondered, how in god's name would you weld them? I like my maps to have some realism to them, so I looked for the answer and best I can come up with is welding the track or hinges that hold them. Just a random thought, but anyone else think this would be the correct answer. Because I know when I get this map uploaded (sometime in 2012 -.-) some idiot is gonna ask, How can you weld glass doors... :roll:

mazzatt

I'm assumin you know how welding works, so you'll know that you can only weld metal to metal, so maybe make the doors so that you can only weld where the metal is...

Sandcrawler

Use Epoxy :P

Or just weld the hinges...

But if your going for realistics then the glass should break out of the doors.

In my opinion sometimes your have to toss out realisim for gameplay...but if you've seen some of my RC maps you'd know I'm not much into realism.
This is my super cool signature, if you think you can best it then make one and Personal Message it to me. :)

arramus

We associate welding with metal to metal but why not glass to glass?

Glass was one of the first materials we manipulated in pre-history simply because of its' potentially low melting point.

Glass door welding may be unusual, but it's certainly not in the realms of fantasy as this chap displays here.

Darktrooper

Well that takes care of that then lol. My idea was that the glass doors were in a metal track, hence using the welder to wrap the metal would sieze the doors up and make them unable to open. This link arramus shows is a lot better hehe. I've never tried to weld glass and I've used Mig,Tig, and Plasma welders in some of my work :D