KF-Brewery (Beta11)

Started by arramus, June 11, 2009, 10:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arramus

This map has gone Beta and can be downloaded here.
kfmod.php?page=downloads&command=view&id=45

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

It's early days but I'd like to make an abandoned brewery with a night theme. There are a lot of static meshes that will fit in very well with this theme so it won't need too much customisation bar the usual resizing and possible texture changes. The map layout will be on 2 levels and contain:

Main fermentation room (in screenshot)
Underground storage linked by ramp and 2 sets of stairs
Science/Testing Lab
Bar
Office
Staff room
Reception area
and all the linking hallways/staircases

Joker

It looks awesome already O.O~

arramus

Well. The fermentation room is starting to get populated with props and the lighting still needs some tweaking but it's starting to get that eerie feel. 'm starting to go down to the basement area now and wanted it to look like you're entering the burning pits.  :mrgreen:

Joker

Dude that is AWESOME LIGHTING!

arramus

Get your beer down here. The squatters are in and the brewery is semi functional.

arramus

Added the underground storage and working on a linking hallway style. I wanted to move away from the orange glow to add a bit of variety. It's looking a bit like a mine shaft but it doesn't feel too out of place.

arramus

Starting to populate the reception room.

And the bar.

I've got the office added and will link a research lab to that and then run another hallway linked from the lab to the basement. That will complete one complete circuit of the whole map and multiple mini circuits. There are still a fair number of props to add to give it a long lived look and the lighting needs tweaking in a few areas. It's starting to take shape now though and it won't be long for a Beta.

Joker

arramus

The reception and bar have received a lot more detail now. I added some windows above the main door and some lights on hanging cords. One of the lights has a flicker effect and the accompanying light beam is mover that appears and disappears in rapid succession. It gives the room a derelict and in need of repair look.

The office (meeting room) is just starting to get some of its primary props.

Next comes the lab and the final hallway to complete the circuit.

arramus

The office area has been split into two with an admin area and a presentation/meeting area.

I'm still trying to find a good balance of detail in the hallways. I don't want too much as it impairs movement and looks cluttered but it still needs a little something extra.

arramus

I think this room, the lab, is the last to go in the brewery. All the hallways are in place and there's a complete circuit around the map as well as a number of mini circuits in different zones.

All of the spawners, pickups, and regular gameplay attributes are in place and it just needs a good beta testing to consider tweaks and find bugs.

I'd like to add a few roof spawners to later builds but will release this as it is just for the purpose of checking stability and bugs.

Joker

Very nice i think i might have a favorite map if its released lol (feels like biotics but in a brewery which is a good thing = biotics being swarmed by crawlers -.-)

BUT some parts of your map as i would say it look like its only going to be hard when fleshpounds come out and rip the fuck out of the players :O since its a claustrophobic map where players can easy notice and knock out crawlers/stalkers (the main killers excluding clots of course xD) but it still looks (excuse my language) Fucking awesome :/ cant wait till release!!!!!

arramus

Here are the things I want to add before final:

1) Hidden spawn points / Roof spawn points. These will allow bots to appear from out of nowhere and at close range as the players won't be able to turn them off by walking through the zone.

This should address players knowing exactly where bots will likely spawn from and maintain the suspense and challenge.

2) Pub art with a variety of aged looking beer posters.

3) Optimisation with zone portals.

4) Patriarch restricter for certain spawn points. I need to find out his actor name in the menu list.

5) Emitters and other effects for a more sophisticated feel.

arramus

Well, there's the easier part of the list. The optimisation. The game still runs with a 70+ minimum framerate (Nvidia 9600GT) anywhere in the map even with a full load of bots without any optimisation at all (this game engine is showing its age) but adding this Zone Portals should make it smoother for low end graphics and any spikes.

Joker

Looks beautiful too me :D and thanks for clearing that up for me :P

Hey, i just wanted to say this for the fun of it, a cool add on xD

Add a first aid kit or two and let them be beer bottles (You should know how too do this you thought me lol :P)

It would be kinda cute :D Since you are in a beer factory and im preety sure the healing process of alcohol (I dont drink soo :/) on a apocalypse type enviroment would help alot lol xD.

Thought it would be cool and wanted to share hehe xD (have them in like a fridge or something :/ or in a bar) :D