[RC] snowbase

Started by Dark Lord, August 20, 2010, 12:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lord

another addition to my collection of secret base/fortress things, but for this map, i decided to go with something a little more unique.
obviously, there is snow on this map, making it a very different environment
the theme of this one is mainly a vehicle depot kind of place, that supplies ATTEs to the military stationed on this particular planet
i've gone with a little more gritty feel than usual, and things are a little less comfortable looking than i usually make them, and there is also less stuff placed underground, so that on this map the terrain area will actually get used a little more lol
here is a screenshot of what is completed so far (probably like 70% finished or so)
Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade

frazscotland

fantastic Darklord good to see you are back and still have the mapskillz !! 8) :) 8)
XFIRE  FRAZSCOTLAND

Jet

I have to try that one. Did you download the snow texture or found it in RC? I would like to know where. Probleby the snipers will be used alot in that big area outside for long range combat.
I was Ralex. I have finaly got to know how to change name! The thing was that I didn't know how to change it. :S
Proud member of Psycho.
www.youtube.com/jet7wave

Dark Lord

leeroy

nice please tell me when its done so i can TRY to download it and play it
sombody please tell me what im doing wrong or if sombody just hates me i dont care if its just becuase you hate me for talking about other games and stuff but if i knew where to find the modding sites (were you MAKE the maps) then i wouldnt be only talking about games

zeix72

I swear that you can do anything you want. With your maps thats amazing.
That's a whole Bowlful of FAIL!!!

Sandcrawler

Hmm what about snow falling on the map? maybe with the visor getting bits of snow as well.
This is my super cool signature, if you think you can best it then make one and Personal Message it to me. :)

frazscotland

Brilliant ide sandcrawler thats something ive not sen yet also ive not seen a map yet with ACIDIC RAIN like that map in Jedi academy  8)
XFIRE  FRAZSCOTLAND

Dark Lord

ill have to look into that, not really sure how i would go about it though, seeing as how most effects dont show in the MP (the visor rain does, but not rain)

the map is basically done, but i just dont feel like it is complete enough lol, so im throwing in a few extra goodies
any ideas?

Sandcrawler

When I get a chance I'll post a few ways you could do snow. There is also a way to make the effects work in MP, (its pinned in one of the forums I believe)

A snowball thrower instead of AA? :P
This is my super cool signature, if you think you can best it then make one and Personal Message it to me. :)

Dark Lord

k, that would definitely be cool to have in the map

as for the AA, i was thinking more along the lines of it killing whoever fires it ;)

{CCP}VI

very nice map.
for snow effects i would take the normal rain emitter. take it and place it into your skybox so its appear everywhere in the map. then go to the default properties of your emitter and then to the subcategorie "emitter" -> "emitters" ->"texture" and use a white texture. no need to make and import a new one. i took Texture'EffectTex.Coronas.Corona'. then the rain should be white but the form of it is still wrong. go to "size" -> "startsizerange" and play a bit with values. you could also make more more snowballs by changing "maxparticles" in "general".
hm, as snow should not be everywhere you'd have to make zones where your not in the open air. have not tested it yet but it should work when you set "buseskydome" in the default properties of your zone infos to false.
and when you want to make an emitter visible for clients go to the default properties of it and then to hidden. set remoterole to ROLE_SimulatedProxy.
Xfire- viscatus

Sandcrawler

Thats how I'd do it as well. Unless you can find an XWeather Actor someplace. It would do it better as it effect just one zone, then you can use volumes to stop rain/snow from falling where you don't want it. But I sure couldn't find it in RC.

The other option is to use a Static Mesh, it will give better performance, and could be made to look just as good. They did this in Killing Floor for Rain on a level. (but I can't remember what level atm...arramus might?)

leeroy

yea make anyone who picks up the aa or a rocket, heavy or any other noob weapon die from a heart attack
sombody please tell me what im doing wrong or if sombody just hates me i dont care if its just becuase you hate me for talking about other games and stuff but if i knew where to find the modding sites (were you MAKE the maps) then i wouldnt be only talking about games

Dark Lord

yeah that effect thing does present a big problem i had not thought about, the map has lots of hills and the bases are all at different elevations, so unless i could limit to one zone that would not be so great
static mesh snowballs though i can see how that would work well and also be very easy, so i may just try that. i was thinking more along the lines of a very light snow anyway, and the sky is not very cloudy to begin with