.obj exporter

Started by T. Koza, October 24, 2006, 11:16:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T. Koza

Hey all, I'm new here. I'm taking a class in 3D game art and design, and I have a big question.

Is there an .obj exporter in the RC Unreal editer? If not, will I have to get the Unreal editer straight from Unreal to get an objet out of RC?

I'm trying to get the FPS version of the DC-17m blaster out and into 3DS max, but max says the .stl file isn't valid. I was able to export the 3rd person version into max as an .stl file. I got it into the scene by adding it as a rag doll from the animation browser, instead of the static meshes browser, because I couldn't find the FPS model in any static model files. In fact, some of those files were empty. Could this be my problem?
Would it help to reinstall everything?

Any and all help would be great, thanks!
Armor is not what makes a Mandalorian. Armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassaliable heart.

DooFi

nope there is no obj exporter. I doubt that there is any opportunity to get models out of RC at all. Without UVs and smooth edges at most..

Squad_Sammaron

okay, but could it import .obj? or anything :D
"Testosterone - You\'ve never seen so much man in one place."
      Title of Regal, Tales of Symphonia
      Stolen by Sammaron, Lord of All

DooFi

nope, use*.ASE files to get your meshes into UED. There is a free version of url=www.softimage.com]Softimage:XSI[/url], which is capable of modelling, texturting, rigging ect, and can export *.ASE files for UnrealED. Use it to create or convert your meshes.

T. Koza

Ok, after a couple months and tons of distractions :evil: I still can't get it to export out into 3DS Max. I've even tried converting the rag doll (which I added from the animation browser) to a static mesh with the package as HUDMeshes, group as weapons, and the name to dc17mblasting. A progress window showed up saying what I put for package, group, name, and said "indexing vertices"

Also, which Softimage XSI do I download, the game mod one? (most likely, but I thought I'd ask anyways to be sure) I already downloaded that one, but when I tried to download the UnRealED addon, a new window opened up and said "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".

Now mind you the class I've been taking hasn't gotten into UnReal yet, but I've been fidgiting whenever I can, which hasn't been all that much. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

edit: is it possible to get the skeleton into softimage and convert that into a mesh, or just do that in UnRealED?
Armor is not what makes a Mandalorian. Armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassaliable heart.