Map Names

Started by JanDeis, December 11, 2007, 02:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JanDeis

I have noticed that almost everyone has "DM" in front of their map name.  Why is this?  And would it really matter if I use a different abbreviation for my maps?

DooFi

DM stands for DeathMatch. There is also CTF for Capture The Flag and so on. In UT in which gamemode the map shows up in the maplist, depends on that prefix, but in RC it doesn't matter as far as i remember, because you have to determine everything in the xMaplist file anyway.

JanDeis

Ok.  So I can use JD_mapname if I want?  I just don't want to steal any names for a map that has already been made.

Sandcrawler

Yeah you can, but I would recomend you do something like DM_JD(mapname) then we know what map goes with what gametype.

DM= Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch
CTF= Assult and Capture the Flag
This is my super cool signature, if you think you can best it then make one and Personal Message it to me. :)

JanDeis

Is there any special prefix for single player maps?  SP?

Those are the maps that I (try) to do.  I don't like online all that much.  Some of the maps are cool though...

Sandcrawler

Nam single player maps usualy use a abbriviation of the planet name, then the map name...so if it was a Corillia lake map it would be something like cor_lake

There might be more...I've never done a single player map.
This is my super cool signature, if you think you can best it then make one and Personal Message it to me. :)

JanDeis

Ok then.  I'm trying to do a single player map for Kashyyyk.  It is based on the beach in the trenches.  So I would just do kas_trenches?  If so.  Kool.

Sandcrawler

Yeah, thats what I would do anyways they did YYY for Kashyyyk on the retail game.

Also I did a trench map a while back, I bleive it was on Kashyyk, it had alot of trees anyways, you might take a look, though it is aimed at multiplayer.