UnderWells

Started by knightmare106, July 04, 2009, 08:13:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knightmare106

the real beta for this simple map :)

-link
//http://www.4shared.com/file/115329267/17ea1365/KF-UnderWellLair-001.html

-only one level this time, i am aiming for a real closed in and tense feel,while providing fair space.
-very symetric at the moment, so the opposite sides are given very different theme, on one side the last of the water grew some greenery before the well ran dry,the other side suffered alot more from rubble and erosion.
-there is a large round hallway that will lead you to one of the traders,most teams might wanna stay out as you will get flanked quick
-the spawn is at a center intersecting room which is not safe until specimen numbers are few due to the 3 ways in or out. making the mistake of feeling safe early in the wave will make sure  you dont last here.
-its dark in there, but i made it so that a flashlight isnt totally necessary

what i need :)
-suggestions are cool right now because i want to be very careful with the decoration and possible hazards of the spawn area, the round hallway, and the only other room at the back of the map. keep in mind this place was not ever inhabitted by people.
-need to know how the spawns treat teams of 3+

arramus

I'm off to bed as it's late this way but will have a good run through tomorrow. The first thing I like in the images is that while it's claustrophobic there is still sufficient width for a good spread of zombies to advance.

Ooo, some water inlets in the top or sides that allow zombies to drop in will make for some panic moments.

knightmare106

thats a good idea thank you , i cant make too many or it will get stale. il need to carefully choose where to throw that in

JubalHarshaw

knightmare106

the feature i was planning on is put on hold for now, it was to replace the trader with some supply boxes that would open up with supplies inside so that you needed to be very careful with what was supplied. the regular shop function is in play for now and here is a quick fix  for the TRADER and when testing it with 3 people it stopped producing specimens but the count did not go down so i tweaked the zombievolumes in hopes this doesnt occur again. the first link is updated with the correct file

arramus

Shop 3 needs an Event as the Mover isn't being triggered and we can't use that Trader        ...hold your hand out and slap it with a ruler...

Apart from scaling some of the textures, adding a water volume, and lots of those ceiling and side chutes for spawns, you've got a very functional map in progress. Now get your tin of polish out.

JubalHarshaw

Quote from: "knightmare106"the feature i was planning on is put on hold for now, it was to replace the trader with some supply boxes that would open up with supplies inside so that you needed to be very careful with what was supplied. the regular shop function is in play for now and here is a quick fix  for the TRADER and when testing it with 3 people it stopped producing specimens but the count did not go down so i tweaked the zombievolumes in hopes this doesnt occur again. the first link is updated with the correct file
That also happened with us. Downloading the new version.

knightmare106

thanks for the trader problem finding :D

about the extras for spawns i was thinking of having some zombieblockvolumes on about 3 areas of the floor in the area which has been designed a bit so that i could have crawlers act as if they dug up out of the ground. and saving the dark little knooks along the walls to be exclusive to the round hallway since i still dont have much going on there besides boring spawns in the circle

i have no experience with watervolume sorry i dont really know what to do with this

arramus

Here's a sample.

It consists of 2 water fluid actors which need a texture. This shows the join between the 2. You can't place just one as there's a limit on size. You'll need to tweak placement and texture scaling to make it look more like water. It's render heavy as well and you'll need to do some anti zone portaling and zone portaling.

Read here for more info on water.
http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/FluidSurfaceTutorial.html

Download sample map of UnderWells here.
http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/9/13/ ... llBeta.zip

knightmare106

wow after tinkering around with the water it turned out to be just what i needed for the atmosphere i wanted thanks alot. now i just need to get some good decoration to make the walls less bland

knightmare106

This map is now beta 003, i am nearing total satisfaction and the goals for it are now met. i have tested it extensiveley with other people and the only error i experienced had to do with pathnodes and specimens huddling in a corner of the map. after sandboxing on this map with 100 specimans spawned at once and god mode turned on with a chainsaw in hand i mowed them all down and now they all come for me. no framerate problems on this map either.

keep your teammates close by :D

+please report any problems you may find while i, i dunno add things to the shopzone :)

arramus

Every time I start my game or editor with UnderWells in the map folder I return an error as follows:

knightmare106

i should have confirmed it was uploaded correctly, i used an update button intead of upload but i guess it just makes problems for this kind of file. i apologize i changed the link and now you can download the zipped file.

link
http://www.4shared.com/file/118942564/1 ... r-003.html

arramus

Thanks that works.

Check the water volume where the Trader room is with the sliding stone. When the stone slides away you can see the water zig zag line. There's also a log in front of another Trader room that blocks you when attempting to walk over it from certain points on its surface.

You've got to love that hole in the ceiling though. I think you should add some more because it really makes for some intense game play when they start dropping all around you.

knightmare106

i guess il cover up the ugly ziggies, and il get the collision right for that log, and fun fact i will have some interesting pseudo specimans running around the map from the beggining :D