Started by Hybrid_Soldier196, October 27, 2006, 01:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hybrid_Soldier196

Today is October 27th. Isnt that Oktoberfest, DooFi? :wink:

Delta_96[DeltaSquad]

no it starts in august and goes into october but ive never payed much attention to the octoberfest except for eating bratwurst

Hybrid_Soldier196

hmmm my schools german classes celebrated it today. I guess they had to pick a day and so they picked today.

DooFi

Quote from: "Hybrid_Soldier196"Today is October 27th. Isnt that Oktoberfest, DooFi? :wink:
so what xD ive never been to the oktoberfest and i dont even want to go there lol. first of all its in bavaria and i am not^^ in addition its pretty much only about getting drunk :mrgreen:

by the way Dark Lord, when you said "genießen" I believe you meant "enjoy!". So you are kind of bidding us to enjoy the map. Ergo you have to use the imperative^^.

in english "to enjoy" is the infinitive and "enjoy!" the imperative. Sounds pretty much the same. Plus, you dont distinguish between plural and singular in english. In german you do ;)

In german "genießen" is the infinitive. But there are several imperative forms:
You'll want to use "genieße!", if you are talking to one friend of you and "genießt!", if you're talking to 2 or more friends of you.
If you are talking to people you don't know or to your boss or whatever you'd say "genießen Sie". You know, in english you say "you" to one person, several people, to your friends and to your teacher. You'd always say "you". In german, you say "Du" to someone you know, and "Sie" to superiors or strangers. "Sie" is more formal than "Du". On the internet you always say "Du", although you might not know the people you are talking to.
Because you want us to enjoy the map, you add an object. "genießt die map". "enjoy the map". You'd probably only say "enjoy" in english, but if you were german you'd also add the object.
Then you add a nice "bitte" ("please") and its perfect:
"Genießt die map, bitte"

Actually nobody would say that in germany though... :mrgreen:
You'd rather say "Viel Spaß" = "Have fun" ;)

i know german language sucks xD  i believe english is much easier to learn, since there are no cases, only one article, you say "you" to everybody and so on... Therefore its pretty easy to learn the pronounciation imho. But i cant really judge that xD

Squad_Sammaron

O.o lol thx for the German lesson :D
"Testosterone - You\'ve never seen so much man in one place."
      Title of Regal, Tales of Symphonia
      Stolen by Sammaron, Lord of All

Hybrid_Soldier196

Thanks for clearing that up. :lol: i probably would only go once, to say ive been there, but other than that now i guess i wouldnt go either.

Dark Lord

QuoteYou'd rather say "Viel Spaß" = "Have fun"
viel from the verb habe? man i hate conjugation
and yes it would seem obvious that english is far easier considering how much better most germans i know speak english than i do german lol
Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade

Delta_96[DeltaSquad]

Viel means much so much fun but if you said habe spaß would mean something close to having fun

DooFi

yea "viel Spaß" is kind of an idiom. You cannot translate it 1:1, but grammatically its pretty close to "have fun" and means exactly the same ;)

haben:
ich habe
du hast (do not mistake this with "du hasst" = "you hate"^^)
er/sie/es hat
wir haben
ihr habt
sie haben

to have
i have
you have
he/she/it has
we have
you have
they have

great example btw... in english you use 5 times "have" and in german you only have "haben" twice and everything else is different lol
i seem to remember i had more spelling/grammar mistakes in my last german-test (C) than in my last english-test (A) lol
anyways this thread is basically not about german or english :mrgreen:

Dark Lord

well this is interesting a whole topic started cuz i said one word lol
i picked back up my german course finally and will start learning more, alot nicer now that ive had a lot of exposure to it through internet and stuff
i like learning it anyway, its something different when everyone here in america is learning spanish (which i care nothing for) as a foreign language (as well i was forced to but those 2 dreadful years are over) and its also nice to know it because barely anyone i know knows it and its sort of secretive lol
but yeah ill get this conjugation stuff memorized one of these days...

Squad_Sammaron

lol how come everyone knows german?!
"Testosterone - You\'ve never seen so much man in one place."
      Title of Regal, Tales of Symphonia
      Stolen by Sammaron, Lord of All

Delta_96[DeltaSquad]

well im half german

Dark Lord

i have german and dutch ancestry but im american