DM_Dawn Torch

Started by Hybrid_Soldier196, January 04, 2007, 04:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hybrid_Soldier196

Well im a little sick of all the Star Wars themed maps....yeah i know its a Star Wars game but we should open up our creative sides and unleash whatever comes out...good or bad. Taking themes from other games that we like and translating them into the Commando universe could help to encourage and support creativity, but not EXACT translations. Take the theme and make it your own....add something here, there...heck why not over there? I know this is starting to sound like im preaching but all im trying to do is stir up the creative juices in all of us, or at least make the Dust of CreativityTM collecting on your desk persuade you to map some amazing maps. Which is where i come to DM_Dawn Torch. I recently finished Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and got tons of ideas from it. I started with a small room...worked my way up to the wooden rafters, stone support, open roof, etc... and soon was struck with an excellent idea. I tried it, it worked.. and im still adding more to this map.....AND NOT USING STATIC MESHES. Yup call me crazy but to actualy form more of the enviroment and not make custom SM i decided the only way was to make it in game with the cube, cylinder, sphere, you know those shapes. So far its working extremly well but possibly because i dont need all that detailed stuff for this map. This is my opinion, all i want to do is tell you what im trying, what works, what doesnt, and what should be the next creative opportunity. So all i ask you is... think...try...revise...perfect...publish.
          -Hybrid

Hybrid_Soldier196

Screens later today!

Squad_Sammaron

*claps hands* hehe :D quite a speech up there. but i don't agree... completely. i don't think this is what you were saying, but it looks like your saying stop all star wars maps, bust out Magic. well, i agree there, but don't stop star wars maps. so many good 'uns are still to be made: Warring Factions, An AI map (MIP wid me and Smith), Bespin, even (i think) Corouscant! i don't have BF2 for comp, but it'd be sweet just to poop maps from there to RC. just my thoughts :D

PS
Morrowind comes wid an editor. i'm gunna check that out.
"Testosterone - You\'ve never seen so much man in one place."
      Title of Regal, Tales of Symphonia
      Stolen by Sammaron, Lord of All

Hybrid_Soldier196

No i dont mean to say only
Quotebust out Magic
maps, i just want to see different kinds of maps, instead of Kashykk, a core Ship, jungle....these are good places to set a map, so im not saying i hate them. But when you map with a set of tools made for a game....well there is a lot of reason to make more of the same. Im just trying to make more of the "different".

{MotR}Weapon

Yeah to my knowledge there hasn't been a Bespin, Yavin, Correlia, Rhen Var, or above ground Courscant (if it's DTSHQ that is made on Courscant, forgive me, I thought it was on the Death Star's surface :P ) made yet. There's also surprisingly very few Tatooine and Hoth maps out there.

And of course we need an obligatory Nar Shadda map out there somewhere. ;)

Variety is the spice of life. ^^

Squad_Sammaron

very poetic this is me agreeing
"Testosterone - You\'ve never seen so much man in one place."
      Title of Regal, Tales of Symphonia
      Stolen by Sammaron, Lord of All

Hybrid_Soldier196

D*** U UNREAL ED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY DOES IT CRASH EVERYTIME I OPEN THIS MAP AND IN THE RC MAPS FOLDER SAY MY MAP IS 0 BYTES? WHY DID I HAVE TO SAVE IT AT EXACTLY THE SAME TIME IT CRASHED!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!!??!!?!?

Just in case your wondering unreal ed killed this map....so i wont be puting it up for DL. :cry:

Dark Lord

Quote from: "{MotR}Weapon"Yeah to my knowledge there hasn't been a Bespin, Yavin, Correlia, Rhen Var, or above ground Courscant (if it's DTSHQ that is made on Courscant, forgive me, I thought it was on the Death Star's surface :P ) made yet. There's also surprisingly very few Tatooine and Hoth maps out there.

And of course we need an obligatory Nar Shadda map out there somewhere. ;)

Variety is the spice of life. ^^

DTS HQ is on the DS surface, but ive considered coruscant before i may try it one day
as for crashes- thats why u always save 1-infinity copies of a map, with space station i had 5 copies it gave me so much trouble
Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade

Hybrid_Soldier196

Thanks for telling me now......oh well.

Dark Lord

also, build all and save very often
when some of my maps crash on me a good bit, i save all the time. seems to work best if you save before you build all (so it doesnt crash on u during build and then u lose stuff) and then u save after every build (so u dont lose finished stuff), and if one save works i rewrite it onto the other copy as well incase the origional gets lost
Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade