Map List Updater

Started by TimBob12, March 09, 2010, 08:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimBob12

Since the link to the map list updater in the tutorials is broken,  I decided to make my own.  It took me about a week to write the code for this and as of this point it is still in a console although I am working on a GUI for it.  It could be some time as I have several school projects on the go.

I would be interested to hear your comments and any problems you encounter so I can fix them in the next version or the GUI version

Here is the download link

http://www.filefront.com/15784479/Map_L ... stall.zip/

Thanks in advance,

TimBob12

arramus

Looking good so far. Just a few things to consider.

1) If you can ask users to type TD or ensure when the GUI is made it sets TD for Team Death Match rather than TM as TM isn't a recognised game mode.

2) Ensure you add + to the beginning of the xmaplist entry, eg, Map+=(FileName

If you don't add the + and you have two maps with the same name for CTF and DM then only the last map entry will appear in the game browser.

3) If you can also consider adding a wildcard for Steam installations as it's also running through there on a different installation location at:

For XP users:
C:Program FilesLucasArtsStar Wars Republic CommandoGameDataSystem

Not too sure on Vista/Win7 as I haven't ventured there yet.

Welcome to modding for RC. This is going to be a great tool for the community when it's all ready to go.

TimBob12

Thanks,
All the file editing is done in the background and I have tested it with multiple maps.  I do definately add the + sign before.  I will add a steam option to the menu as well.  Thanks for that I didn't think of it.  In the gui version I plan to have a combo box with the full names of the Game Modes.  I'll work on a console version with steam support before I continue with the GUI.

I forgot to mention I am coding it in C++ and as it is you arramus I am willing to give you the source if you want.  If you do want my code don't look at it too critically as I have only just fully grasped console programming and I am only 13  :roll:.

Sandcrawler

Actualy a better approach might be to read the Registry Key for Republic Commando.

I don't know how but I do know it would work...or I think anyways.

Does this add the maps to the Map Loading Screen as well? That was what I always wanted with a program like this.

Also the old one would read an ini file and just append that to the file in the install location, do you have something like that, or could you do it?

(I'm check it out in a few)
This is my super cool signature, if you think you can best it then make one and Personal Message it to me. :)

TimBob12

I had a look at updating the load screen but each entry is numbered no numbers above like 80 work.  Also if you use the same number from another one it will use the name for that one.  I have yet to figure out how tor read the numbers but then we are limited anyways.

Sandcrawler

Well lets find out what number it stops working at, 80 is just four custom map loadings, but I'm sure I had more than that at one point.

As for counting them I believe C has alot of the same stuff as php? not sure never messed with it. But in php something like

$count = explode('nn','maploading')
$i='0';
 foreach($count as $map)
 {
  $i++;
 }
 echo mapcount $i;

Prolbably not working php, didn't take any time :P But something like that should work because the text are in blocks n is a new line, and at the end of the block there are two line breaks...I think.
This is my super cool signature, if you think you can best it then make one and Personal Message it to me. :)