.ASE importing low poly test - Battle Buggy

Started by arramus, February 28, 2007, 08:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arramus

I tried importing a low poly .ase file from XSI using the unreal add on. The 'battle buggy' I imported didn't have a texture so I just used a stock texture.

It imported all buggy and there's some parts lacking and it needs a good skin job and collision. I'll play aroundwith XSI and read up more on models for UE and see what I can come up with.

DooFi

my normals always get inverted when i export *.ASEs from XSI. Looks like yours should be inverted too. :)

arramus

That's better. Doesn't look inside out any more.

arramus

And with a better looking texture.

explode

Yeah, I tried this importing once, but the model was tiny and it was inside out, although the polycount was only around 50 (It was a simple water tank, nothing special)

DooFi

Quote from: "explode"Yeah, I tried this importing once, but the model was tiny and it was inside out, although the polycount was only around 50 (It was a simple water tank, nothing special)
Yeah, they are tiny because (afaik) one grid unit in XSI matches one Unit in UED, so as one unit is freaking small in UE a model that is perfect for XSI will look pretty tiny in UED ;)

explode

What about my inside-out models, I made an awesome gun, but when I import, the polygons all get turned around....
The same thing happens with a low poly car I dled and Converted to .ASE, It imports fine, but the Polygons are turned around.....

Could someone please help me?

Thanks in advance
      {-EXP-}Explode

DooFi

As I said, you have to invert the normals. Model->Surface->Invert Normals or something...

arramus

Just do what DooFi said and it worked for me. First I hit Y to select Polygons then I dragged the mouse over the whole image and it selected the surfaces and then did as DooFi's instructions.

If you still can't do it then upload the file and I'll have a go.

explode

Ok, Doofi's inverting worked, but I have a problem with collision...
When I try to convert the static mesh to a brush for collision, the Editor crashes....
The model I want to get collision for is little a jeep thingy (from www.3dtotal.com ) And the built in collision tools suck, plus I get this when I try to "import *ASE as collision"!

WILL IT EVER BE IMPLEMENTED!
Note: yeah I took the gun off of the top, because I thought it was turing the model inside out becase there were too many polys, so I deleted the gun...
I think It still looks cool, and the texture goes on fine..

DooFi

i seem to remember ase collision does not work in UT2l4's ED either, so that's not LAs fault :P

click here
or here