Star Wars Republic Commando Patch Appeal (SWRCPA)

Started by arramus, July 27, 2009, 08:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arramus

Do you want to see SWRC updated and patched to reflect current hardware specifications and gaming trends?

Install Steam and join the Star Wars Republic Commando Patch Appeal (SWRCPA) at:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SWRCPA

Community Group Goal
-----------------------------

The Star Wars Republic Commando Patch Appeal Community is for SWRC gamers who would like to publicise the need for official game updates to ensure this classic remains compatible with today's gaming environment.

Background
---------------

In early July 2009, LucasArts brought Star Wars Republic Commando to Steam.

LucasArts' President, Darrell Rodriguez' says "This effort is going to make it possible to introduce a whole new generation of gamers to LucasArts' classic games."

We say, this is great news but please support that effort with patches that bring SWRC up to date with current hardware specifications and gaming trends.

Patch Appeal Example Requests
--------------------------------------

Remove console commands that allow players to perform online exploits.

Allow community made custom maps, mods, and other content to be downloaded from the server.

Provide Admin tools for map voting, kicking, banning, MOTD, Web Based Interface, Admin messaging, and all the functions that the Unreal Engine typically supports across Unreal Engine based games.

Support online Coop gameplay for retail and custom content.

Automatically maplist added custom maps.

Update known Bumpmapping to Low Workaround for RC Crashes issue and other issues related to hardware evolution.

Allow gamers to link CD Keys to Steam.

=====================================================

This may be flogging a dead donkey but if LucasArts are going to push their game to 'a new generation' then I feel they have a responsibility to ensure they maximise the experience with what are typically standard Unreal Engine game features.

I hope to see Sandcrawler Network members join up and also publicise this appeal in clan forums and Xfire buddies. We've certainly taken this game far in the community and I'd like to see if we can't take it that little bit further.

Here is a letter sent to LucasArts

QuoteStar Wars Republic Commando (PC)

To whom it may concern,

I first played the demo of Star Wars Republic Commando in 2005 and was utterly astounded with the squad based tactical order system, the audio, the graphics, the game engine, the ingame characters, and of course the Star Wars theme. Since purchasing the full version in March 2005, SWRC is a game that I've played repeatedly in both single player mode and multiplayer mode and even after these 4 years it can continue to boast a fresh and timeless appeal.

In early July 2009, I was most delighted to see LucasArts bringing its classic games over to Steam and also with LucasArts' President, Darrell Rodriguez' comment of "This effort is going to make it possible to introduce a whole new generation of gamers to LucasArts' classic games."

It's early days but there has most certainly been an influx of new gamers 'hitting' the SWRC servers with players stemming from multiple continents across the world.

With this effort to attract a new generation of gamers to LucasArts' classic games I would like to make an appeal on behalf of the community for continued update support to ensure LucasArts' classic games, and in particular SWRC, are compatible with the needs of current computer hardware and gaming trends. With regards to SWRC, updates could include:

Patching Ideas
--------------

Remove console commands that allow players to perform online exploits thereby creating a negative online experience for the community in general. Commands such as: 'EXAMPLE1' and 'EXAMPLE2' are a couple of examples.

Add coding to allow community made custom maps, mods, and other content to be downloaded from the server. With bandwidth improvements over the last 4 years this has become a common feature of many game titles and allows the community a simple solution of releasing custom content in an efficient and instant manner.

Provide Admin tools for map voting, kicking, banning, MOTD, Web Based Interface, Admin messaging, and all the functions that the Unreal Engine typically supports across Unreal Engine based games.

Support online Coop gameplay for retail and custom content.

Automatic maplisting for added custom maps.

Update known Bumpmapping to Low Workaround for SWRC Crashes issue and other issues related to hardware evolution.

Allow gamers to link CD Keys to Steam.

I appreciate that Star Wars Republic Commando is a classic game but kindly request that with the effort to introduce classics to the community also comes the effort to ensure the classics are compatible with current gaming demand in terms of hardware and playability.

I also understand that LucasArts is a company with financial goals and that patching a game includes a cost factor, but hope the release of LucasArts classics will offset these costs and make the purchase a more attractive and appealing prospect for new gamers as well as benefit the existing community.

Kind Regards,

MyRealName
(AKA arramus)

Star Wars Republic Commando Patch Appeal -- http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SWRCPA
Sandcrawler Network -- http://www.sandcrawler.net

Dark Clone Volo

i wich the update comes .. i wich the ...  :mrgreen:
<i>ID --> Xfire  = v0l0  --> Msn = http://darkclone.servegame.org/

arramus

Sent a letter to Steam/Valve Software after receiving a generic reply from Steam Support.

Ouch with the bumpmapping...

RC-1266

arramus

Better Business Bureau serving Alaska, Oregon & Western Washington

I just contacted the Better Business Bureau as follows:

COMPLAINT
Valve Corporation operates an online business called Steam. Steam provides an outlet for PC game publishers to sell their games via download content.

There are occasions when a game is released with issues that will not allow the end user to use the game application as it described in the sales description.

In such an instance Steam will not provide a refund and instead refer the customer to the publisher's website to ask for technical support.
Steam justify this stance by saying they simply sell the product and offer no other support.

However, I have 2 issues with this stance:

1) The product supplied does not match the advertising claims.

2) It is not possible to play the game as a standalone product. Users must install the Steam application and play the game through that portal. Attempting to start a game without running it through the Steam application installed will be met by a message that the Steam application needs to be installed.

RESOLUTION
I am seeking the following.

1) Refund in full when the product fails to meet advertisement claims.

2) Recognise your relationship with the publisher as more than just an online retail outlet. Ensuring the end user has to have the Steam application installed to play a purchased game warrants a level of responsibility that goes beyond the realms of purely sales.

frazscotland

its amazing and i agree arramus and also im surprised at la being so tightfisted .i think theres something else behind this apathy on la's part maybe royalties or something.they dont seem to want to do anything even in the face of high demand . i commend your efforts :)
XFIRE  FRAZSCOTLAND