Doors act wierd sometimes

Started by knightmare106, June 03, 2009, 10:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knightmare106

Some doors at random times simply will not be opened/cant be welded. i have looked around the net and have seen things like key 0 and key 1 should be the same position, other keys are different openings. i am just using a lame sliding door until i get better at mapping so i have tried using slot 0 closed and slot 1 open, aswel as slot 0 and 1 are closed, then 2 is open. when i test run i could get through a wave and then notice some doors just get jammed later on.

I think it might have to do with specimens approaching it but the same thing happens in empty rooms i have made too. at first i thought i just have to spam E but recently it feels like throwing a nade,hitting it with a knife a couple times, or walking away after E fails and a specimen often opens it up just fine.

oh yes the direction that my kfdoortrigger faces is the direction the door opens also in case that makes any difference. The red message always shows up at the bottom so the trigger and door DO WORK. sometimes they are just stuck closed and cannot be welded either.

i have spent too many hours working on getting my doors to work 100% and i feel i did enough reading to understand the concept, after all the doors do work....in case ur not sure what to suggest here is a link to my map and at the moment the doors are set to key0 and 1 closed and key2 is open.

http://www.4shared.com/file/109771383/1 ... F-001.html

i refuse to skip the doors just because of this probably little problem and i just cant find the enthusiasm to finish the map until this is sorted out. thanks for your time :D

arramus

Key 1 is open.
Key 0 is closed.

That's all you need. You don't need a Key 2.

In Mover > NumbKeys. It says 2 already for the doors I looked at. These are Key 0 and Key 1.

When you save your map ensure all Doors are set to closed for Key 0.

Also, it's best NOT to overlap your brushes as it'll cause rendering issues and you may see visual tears.

If you are still stuck after this let us know.

knightmare106

its still a problem, sorry if im a pain, but i even made brand new doors and it really feels like it has something to do with the specimens because they will oress against the door trying to get me on the other side but even hen i walk up to it the door wont open or close. i walk back, shoot the door a few times and they are able to open it, when all the mobs are dead i walk to the door again and it works flawlessly until another mob is pressing against it trying to open it :(

Sandcrawler

Key 0 should be closed
Key 1 and 2 should be open

At least that how mine worked, although I'll admit I haven't done a ton of testing on the map, but they opened everytime I tried them. The doors in Killing Floor need to be able to open both ways (I dunno how they do that :D) So that why you need the three keypoints. You can also use only two, but 0 should always be the closed position.
This is my super cool signature, if you think you can best it then make one and Personal Message it to me. :)

arramus

My first post is conflicting as I was in a rush to leave.

The latter part where it says Key 0 is closed is correct.

For the church door in a map like WestLondon it has

Key 0 is closed
Key 1 is open (swinging in)
Key 2 is open (swinging out) with the arrow of the KFUseTrigger pointing outwards to match Key 2 direction.

For a slider you should try just:

Key 0 is closed
Key 1 is open

In a map like BioticsLab where you have 2 sliding doors they are only connected with one KFUseTrigger triggering both and the arrow is pointing to the right (if you're inside a room looking out).

Whereas the single sliders in BioticsLab have the KFUseTrigger pointing outwards instead of left or right. This infers that the direction is only important for 2 way swinging doors and shouldn't be a problem for your sliders.

----------------------------------

Here's what you should do...

1. Place your door where you want in to go with its KFUseTrigger.
2. Select Key 0 and that will lock the first frame where it is.
3 Now select Key 1 and move the door to its open position.
4. Now select Key 0 and it will automatically jump back to it closed position.
5. Do not select Key 2 at all.
You will have Key 0 in closed and Key 1 in open. You only need those 2 frames of motion.
6. Tweak the property settings as necessary.
7. Build all and test.

One more thing...
If you are increasing the size of a door to the size you did then it will mess up the KFUseTrigger setting as that is locked to a position on the door and will move higher as you increase the door's size. You will still be able to lock it but you may not be able to see the % climbing.

Test that.

knightmare106

Thanks very much for the support, i had deleted my doors and made new ones a couple times and i followed step by step and the problem persists. its pretty pathetic that im 30 hours into the sdk and im stuck at making doors like this, im beggining to think i screwed up royally somewhere else in the map and i will try starting a new one o_O

btw my steam is dsant143 and my nick is Alex atm i might have seen aramus in the killing floor custom group but im not gonna go around asking everyone named arramus about doors :P

thanks for trying, this is probably something really lame that i overlooked X_X

arramus

I'll add you to my Steam buddy's list. Do you have Xfire as well. Then I can see what you've done to your recent build and see if we can make a recovery.