Dynamic level attempts

Started by knightmare106, June 06, 2009, 02:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knightmare106

I'm going to try to make a level that has a different relativeley small but not cramped area per wave. the setting would be a small scale assault on one of the patriarch's fortresses so heres the idea in theory and in simple unrealed terms:

wave one starts at an open courtyard with a well in the middle. the level one wave approaches you from a few angles and jump out of the well to make things interesting and when its all done the courtyard is an entire shop zone so as soon as its finished no trader run just stop and shop and when the trader time is up the traderteleport will jump you to the next scene which is a different setting and maybe a simple goal like getting to the end of a really long hallway to open a door that has one or a few specimens to kill before you stop and shop and are shipped off to the next area

question starts here. there are different wave settings on most servers ranging to 5, 8,11 waves. i want this map to be enjoyed on any length but of course the short game will not have all of the rooms. so do i make 3 versions of this map? is there a chance the server admins will choose the correct map for the correct length most of the time? or should i not bother with this sort of thing?

simple solution in my head is just make sure "level" 5,8,11 are large enough or built with the bossfight in mind.

all i am trying to do is provide something new to do in killing floor, some of the maps i wanna make are specifically to minimize the effectiveness of kiting and calling for teamwork in the fairest way. don't worry guys, i wouldnt make this post if i didnt have the determination to finish this stuff even if they dont have working doors -.- lol

another map im gonna work on is almost a simple box map with an elevator in the middle that travels slowly between two floors, camping the elevator wont give you much space to run around so if you miss the elevator you will be cut off from your teammates the next wave :D or you could be one of a couple who are on the second level and u need to survive long enough for your teammates to arrive for help, il give the ppl something to do while they ride the elevator like shoot targets to spawn weapons/armor or drop down a welded door at a spawn to delay specimens from killing your peeps :P(i am assuming the targets being able to do this is possible,why wouldnt it be?)

If not or in between working on"different" maps il be throwing out some empty maps that you can all use as bases(just fill it up with the spawns or doors that you please). i think this is cool because if SUSAN and BILLY downloaded my base map and customize it to each's liking, then we have 2 almost different maps in less time :D

I am ambitious o.o
wish me luck

arramus

If I'm seeing where you're going on this first idea you'll split one level into multiple zones and spawn in a different zone with each wave.

You'll need to ensure players remain in the trader room during end of wave time but a one sided brush should stop them coming back out again.

I also think levels 5, 8, and 11 should be large enough for the bossfight as it'll keep things simple. The frequency is far enough apart that it'll allow level variety between them.

You'll also have to set the Zombie Spawner properties so that only the ones in the current playable area spawn. The spawn distance setting should do the trick there.

Well, it sounds do able and will make for some unique game play.

Sandcrawler

You will also want to add in trigger Players Starts, we have a tutorial in the Republic Commando section it should be the same, I would set the trigger up right by the teleporters with a wider radius.

I'm not sure if you can control what trader gets picked next, that the problem I see.

I had though about doing this, my way was alot more complicated with triggers shutting doors to shut off the zombie spawns and so on (I never made any of it though btw) So I wish you luck.
This is my super cool signature, if you think you can best it then make one and Personal Message it to me. :)

knightmare106

hai guys, the first stage is set and does the job i want it to do which is enforce the team to stay together under heavy pressure. tested it with a friend and leaving your partner likeley results in somebody dying :D

anywho, im gonna spend some time tinkering with the triggers. i do have questions i probably wont find in the unrealed wiki or whatever the name is o.o

#1-Zombie spawning determined by waves?
-the simplest process for spreading out the specimens is if its possible to only have zombie volumes active during the wave i designate. is this possible? if not i will have to play with warp zones? but same question applies for can i set the wave it is or is not active?
-distance settings were mentioned but im gonna have these stages relativeley close together, it may not work
-i see a toggledenabledevent option but i dunno what it means

thats my main question anyway. the trader situation i decided to have only one trader zone tag but the stages themselves are the buy zones. if it doesnt work out then i could do something crazy and just remove the floors so that i have movers open up to drop the player into a buyzone :P il probably try to figure out a way to not use traders at all but have weapons set on the field kind of survival horror type.

knightmare106

Disabledavenums doesnt seem to  sort out my spawning per wave, i mean most of them spawn at the next stage but like 8 dont