How to Build Traders.

Started by TinyDancer, June 09, 2009, 09:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TinyDancer

I'm not exactly sure where I should put a tutorial on this forum, but I've seen enough "How do I build traders pls? ; Just copy it." to post a thread here.

Ok, how to make a trader;

1. Create the room.

2. Place a ShopVolume in the room, I prefer to shrink it a little, otherwise people will be able to use the shop if they're outside the room and touching the walls.

3. Navigate through the Actor Classes window until you find *WeaponLocker

3. Select *WeaponLocker and place the woman where you want her in the map. (Inside the ShopVolume!)

4.Right click the Add Movers button and select KFTraderDoor and set up the wall around the door after placing it in the map.

5. Place six Teleporters outside the ShopVolume

Now that you've all the pieces of the shop on the map, it's time to link them together.

**Make sure the tags of your Teleporters and doors are different for each trader. i.e. If you have a trader who requires two doors to open, tag those the same, but for the next trader change the tag of the door to something different; otherwise the doors of other traders will open at the same time. (Thanks to arramus for checking on this)

1. To link the door select it, open up its properties, then open the Events tab, look at it's Tag.

2. Open up the ShopVolume's properties, under the Events tab set "Event" to the name of the door's tag.

3. Open up your teleporters' properties, go into the Events tab, and look at the tag. This should be the same for every set of 6 teleporters you have.

4. Go back to the ShopVolume's properties, open up the ShopVolume tab, and set the "URL" to the teleporters' tags.

Go forth world and create traders without being bound to opening two different maps! Rejoice!

I urge anyone with additional tips or recommendations for improving this tutorial post and I'll see what I can do!

arramus

I have a few questions.

How are you able to add the KFTraderDoor through the Actors? By default it's classified as a non placeable Actor and even when 'Placeable classes Only?' is deselected and it appears under its Movers subclass it is not placeable in the map. What's your workaround for that please?

And once you've added the KFTraderDoor, what is the default Tag?

It's possible to emulate the KFTraderDoor utilising the requisite SM and texture but it'll be a Mover and not the Actor it's supposed to be.

TinyDancer

Ah, you're correct; I forgot you have to add the KFTraderDoor by right clicking the Add Movers button, thanks for that, I wasn't working through as I wrote the tutorial. Is there a reason you need to pull it down from the actors menu specifically?  If so I may be able to help you with that.

The default tag for KFTraderDoor is "KFTraderDoor" One thing I need to test and get back to this on is if you can use the same tag for all your doors, and only open specific ShopVolume doors at a time, you most likely can.

I'll edit my above post about the KFTraderDoor being an actor into it being a mover.

PS. I dig your MosEisley map.

arramus

There's no reason you have to pull the movers down through the Actors.

You've updated your post to make it clearer so that's useful.

Each trader door tag and shop volume event trigger will need to be different or you'll be opening multiple doors at the same time. The same applies to teleporters.

It's best to write a tutorial and work through it at the same time to ensure the theory fits with the practical. It also means you can take some screenshots or video at every stage.

TinyDancer

Yeah, I normally would work through it but I was crunched on time while writing it; Thanks for testing the multiple tags I'll update my post to include that also. To post screens can I upload straight to this site from my computer or is there another way to do it? I'm sort of new to writing actual tutorials.

If you feel anywhere in this tutorial needs clarification or screens, just say so and I'll go ahead and do that, if no one requests it though I'll assume the tutorial is adequate.

Sandcrawler

You can upload screenshots here: kfmod.php?page=upload

I think it will be good once you add some images, just keep them 600pixels wide if you don't mind.
This is my super cool signature, if you think you can best it then make one and Personal Message it to me. :)

TinyDancer

Don't mind keeping them 600 at all, give me a second and I'll go through the process for another trader and screen it; then I'll edit it.