I'm Starting A Mchinima Series and Need Some RepCom Skins

Started by Nero, March 10, 2007, 04:28:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squad_Sammaron

theres a good tut on ued site (something like ued. something...) for machinima but i checked it out and the camera could pan, but not rotate or fade in/out effects, so be wary :D

As for skinning, eaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasy. but first get to work on the tuts here. making a machinima while struggiling to add boxes to your maps kind of makes an issue. :D

if you must know right away.... :D

Copy that skin that Doofi gave you and scale it to 512x512 pixels (i'll explain why later). make it .bmp or .jpeg, i don't think it matters, but .bmp just to be safe. open the texture browser (looks like a landscape near top of screen) and then select file>import from the pop up. it will make another pop up in which you type myLevel (HAS TO BE myLevel) in the package box and whatever you want in the group box. then there will be a button somewhere on the import popup that says 'Browse' or 'Open'. push this, find your image, select it, and click open. this will load your skin into the engine so it can be placed on you're actor (actor's, for short, are basically everything but boxes, spheres, and whatnot). if you look in the texture browser and open the dropdown labeled 'Package' you should find myLevel. click it. you'll notice it instantly opens you're group from the dropdown labeled 'Group', simply because it's the only one you've made. now push the save button in the pop-up window. WARNING: MP WILL NOW BE DISABLED UNLESS YOU RE-INSTALL!!!!! (i think it will; correct me if wrong doofi :D) select your skin by clicking it. now open the actor browser. it will be near the same position as the tex browser button, but to left or right. looks like a pawn, the chess piece. this window will replace your texture window, which is ok. now click actor>pawns>ctpawns>commandos> then which ever commando you want. now follow the first tutorial in this site to make your first map, but do not select a different texture.place it into your level by pusing a button that looks like two lines converging to one. Now move it into the subtracted box. double click the commando. ANOTHER pop up creates its self (smart lil buggers, aint they?) called default properties something or another. open the default menue located in popup (may be default advanced, check both) and look for skins. click that and make a new skin if one isn't already. if one is already made, just use that one for now. click the box containing the current skin, or none if you created it, and then click use. this replaces the current skin with the texture you have selected. save, build all, and play! HURRAH YOU DID IT! NO HELP WHATSOVER!!!
If you want more badly spleled tuts (hehe :D i'm fnuny :D) then refer to me as Lord Sammaron the Awesome from now on. :D c ya
"Testosterone - You\'ve never seen so much man in one place."
      Title of Regal, Tales of Symphonia
      Stolen by Sammaron, Lord of All

DooFi

You should not scale it to 512. Leave it at 1024x1024. The retail skins are 1024² as well.
I dunno if you will be able to play online when you do it like Sammaron, since you don't have to touch any of the shipped packages. If you do, you have to make backups before so you can swap them after recording your clip and everything turns back to normal.

Nero

heres the thing. I am making the machinima via Multiplayer mode. So if i install this skin (and have my actors install it) will i be able to play online or not?

Sandcrawler

Yup long as everybody ahs the same files your set.
This is my super cool signature, if you think you can best it then make one and Personal Message it to me. :)

Nero

ok...where is the Unreal Editor I think my gay computer deleted it...

Squad_Sammaron

you could do it in MP but the cameras may not work and you can create servs, but noone can join unless they have files and you might not be able to join their servs. you can download UED from the RC patch, or from here via downloads :D
"Testosterone - You\'ve never seen so much man in one place."
      Title of Regal, Tales of Symphonia
      Stolen by Sammaron, Lord of All

DooFi

You have to install the Patch that contains the hangar map. It contains UnrealEd and puts it into the /system folder. So head to that folder and open unrealed.exe. At least i seem to remember thats what it is called :P
Works with pretty much any other UE game as well, exept for those that don't ship with the editor at all.

Nero

O no wonder i couldn't do it...i uninstalled it and never re-downloaded the patch

:roll:  :P

Nero

Quote from: "Squad_Sammaron"theres a good tut on ued site (something like ued. something...) for machinima but i checked it out and the camera could pan, but not rotate or fade in/out effects, so be wary :D

As for skinning, eaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasy. but first get to work on the tuts here. making a machinima while struggiling to add boxes to your maps kind of makes an issue. :D

if you must know right away.... :D

Copy that skin that Doofi gave you and scale it to 512x512 pixels (i'll explain why later). make it .bmp or .jpeg, i don't think it matters, but .bmp just to be safe. open the texture browser (looks like a landscape near top of screen) and then select file>import from the pop up. it will make another pop up in which you type myLevel (HAS TO BE myLevel) in the package box and whatever you want in the group box. then there will be a button somewhere on the import popup that says 'Browse' or 'Open'. push this, find your image, select it, and click open. this will load your skin into the engine so it can be placed on you're actor (actor's, for short, are basically everything but boxes, spheres, and whatnot). if you look in the texture browser and open the dropdown labeled 'Package' you should find myLevel. click it. you'll notice it instantly opens you're group from the dropdown labeled 'Group', simply because it's the only one you've made. now push the save button in the pop-up window. WARNING: MP WILL NOW BE DISABLED UNLESS YOU RE-INSTALL!!!!! (i think it will; correct me if wrong doofi :D) select your skin by clicking it. now open the actor browser. it will be near the same position as the tex browser button, but to left or right. looks like a pawn, the chess piece. this window will replace your texture window, which is ok. now click actor>pawns>ctpawns>commandos> then which ever commando you want. now follow the first tutorial in this site to make your first map, but do not select a different texture.place it into your level by pusing a button that looks like two lines converging to one. Now move it into the subtracted box. double click the commando. ANOTHER pop up creates its self (smart lil buggers, aint they?) called default properties something or another. open the default menue located in popup (may be default advanced, check both) and look for skins. click that and make a new skin if one isn't already. if one is already made, just use that one for now. click the box containing the current skin, or none if you created it, and then click use. this replaces the current skin with the texture you have selected. save, build all, and play! HURRAH YOU DID IT! NO HELP WHATSOVER!!!
If you want more badly spleled tuts (hehe :D i'm fnuny :D) then refer to me as Lord Sammaron the Awesome from now on. :D c ya

ok i have no idea how to do this....

but upon attempting it i found a bunch of skins like Clone Commando Clean... etc as well as some regular clone troopers. Can i put theese skins in MP?

arramus

The current skins for MP tagged to the Clone Mesh all at 1024x1024 are:

CloneTextures.CloneTextures.CloneCommando40  (Delta Four-Oh or "Fixer" / Ranger - Green Skin)
CloneTextures.CloneTextures.CloneCommando62  (Delta Six-Two or "Scorch" / Demolitions - Yellow Skin)
CloneTextures.CloneTextures.CloneCommando07   (Delta Oh-Seven or "Sev" / Snipe - Red Skin)
CloneTextures.CloneTextures.MP_CloneCommandoC (Light Blue - Recon)
CloneTextures.CloneTextures.MP_CloneCommandoA (Black - Night Ops)

In addition you have the following unnasigned skins within the CloneCommando area:

CloneTextures.CloneCommandoCommando30 (Delta Three-Eight or "Boss' - Orange Skin
CloneTextures.CloneCommando_Burn (Combiner for burn effect - Can be added as unique skin)
CloneTextures.CloneTextures.MP_CloneCommandoB - Green
CloneTextures.CloneTextures.MP_CloneCommandoD - Grey
CloneTextures.CloneCommandoWhite - White

There is one more skin at 512x512
CloneTextures.CloneCommandoSmall - White

You can mix and match these skins simply by editing the MPSkin Set Properties located in the Actor Properties area here:

Actors > Pawn > *CTPawn > MPPawn > *MPClone
Open its Properties and then
MPPawn >  MPSkins

===========================================================

There are two ways you can do this.

1. Simply replace the existing 5 skins with custom skins using the same name. This will just write over the existing skins. They'll automatically be reassigned new shaders linked from the last set of skins but unqiue to yours. You'll need to save and overwrite the CloneTextures package with the new textures so make backups.

2. Add 5 skins to a new map and save to MyLevel area so the textures are saved within the map or add your own Textures pack. Edit the Properties MPSkins area to locate to these 5 skins. You'll need to have shaders for quality.

===========================================================

You can add/make any skins you like on top of the existing ones listed above. I'd recommend starting with the unnasigned ones just so you can become familiar with the editing process or adding skins process.