Gmod in RC?

Started by explode, June 12, 2007, 07:56:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

explode

I was watching some videos of GMOD in action, and thought it would be cool for RC.  So I got to some poking around and found BF2 Sandbox.  I Played this and thought it might be easier to do.

Anyway, in case you don't know, gmod is a mod for half-life 2 that lets you spawn and move objects at will (I'm sure that there is more, but this is my basic goal for the RC mod).

I want to make an RC mod like this, where you can either summon objects, or you can pick up ones already on the level (Karma actors) with some sort of grabbing gun.

I am working on this, and if you have any ideas on how I could get this to work, please feel free to post them

P.S. ANY IDEAS ARE WELCOME, don't shoot someone down for having a dumb idea, it might just help!

Sh4rpSh00t3r

i've seen someone do this on Jedi Knight Jedi Academy. Lol, they were spawning the Mutant Rankor. Anyway seeing how it was done there, im sure it will work for RC. (is JKJA and RC both of the Unreal Engine?)

explode

I don't think so, but thank you for your input.

DooFi

JK uses the quake engine.......Additive mapping and stuff -.-

Sh4rpSh00t3r

alright well, obviously the graphics are different but i know that unreal has multiple engines so soooooorrrrrry. :P

mekahn

i thought JA used GtkRadiant :?

explode

Whatever, but can we get back on topic here?
I decided that I am going to use a grabber gun that will "pick up" objects and let them move with you.
I think it would be very interesting to have a SP level with physics puzzles, like building a bridge over your enemy that you can't possibly kill, or using explosive barrels to destroy the enemy.

DooFi

Sounds interesting indeed, but I suppose it's pretty hard to do. Also I dunno if the engine can cope with too many Karma props. They didn't disable Karma in MP for nothing.

Quote from: "mekahn"i thought JA used GtkRadiant :?
Yes it does, as it's the Editor of the Quake Engine :roll: Like UnrealEngine has UnrealEditor, Quake has Radiant.

mekahn

oh sorry

explode

Quote from: "DooFi"Sounds interesting indeed, but I suppose it's pretty hard to do. Also I dunno if the engine can cope with too many Karma props. They didn't disable Karma in MP for nothing.

Well, I wasn't thinking of making it a MP mod, just a SP mod with small puzzles, getting you safely around enemies and stuff.  Do you have any idea if there is a way to change the impact of a gun from an effect to a karma constraint maybe?

DooFi

I have no idea :biggrin
I believe the physics in UE2 are limited to everything falling in a certain direction declared via Zone/Volume or map defaults, anyways ;) Dunno if there's much more. But it sounds plausible that if it's possible to make stuff fly away if you shoot it, you can also make stuff come towards you. Though I guess it would require a whole lot of complex coding.

explode

I see what you are saying, but what I am thinking of is more of a gun that would just affix a temporary constraint to it, keeping it always the same distance away from you, therefore redering it possible to "move" the object by walking around with it.  I think this may be possible, but it may require quite some coding to get the gun to spawn a Karma constraint rather than a particle system.  Also, it would be hard getting the constraint to attach to the corresponding object, because when you set up the karma constraints in UeD, you have to enter the name of the karma actor you want it to attach to..
So many headaches I feel coming...

Sandcrawler

Hmm sounds interesting. I know there is a way to chain static meshes togeahter, or even the NPCs, did this on a map with alot of Karma barrels and doors, and I linked clone troopers to some of the barrels so you would shoot it and it would drag the clone trooper off =P

Well that was the idea anyways, dont remember if it work or not when the NPC was active, but I know why you killed it it worked right.

I ran into no problums with Karma's other then they dont work well as doors =P I didn't get any lag from it, but it was only about 60 barrels, and 4 door things.

Also all the spawnbing in JA and JK2 is done using commands.
This is my super cool signature, if you think you can best it then make one and Personal Message it to me. :)

explode

Well, my typical puzzle would only have between 10 and 20 karma objects for each one, where each puzzle was a map with a portal at the end that takes you to the next map, where it will get progressivly harder...
If only I could find my RC disc...