SP Rescue

Started by M3rl1n, April 24, 2007, 02:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shockjaw

Quote from: "M3rl1n"New screens are up on the front page of my website //http://www.leveldesign101.com (scroll down for latest shots).

They contain spoilers so I'm not going to post them here (plus it'll keep this thread from overloading with images!) but if you’re not worried about it feel free to head over there and check them out.

The first map is very close to completion and will be releasing it as soon as it's done. Originally I intended to have these as single map missions but because of the size/complexity it looks like I'll be dividing it into at two seperate maps.
so you'll be realeasing the first section soon

DooFi

Listen Shock, stop making 1-word-posts, double posts and senseless repetitive posts, okay?

He said as soon as it's done. That doesn't mean "soon". It's done when it's done. And that is good. Dont put pressure on him, hes doing well enough without. :D

Shockjaw

ok doofi will try to not to do what you listed again

M3rl1n

Thanks guys :) I really appreciate the enthusiasm and compliments. I’m having a fun time working on this so hopefully it will be the first of much more to come.

And yes the dreaded “as soon as its done” :P

As sort of a break from UnrealEd I’ve been working to set this up as its own mod so it will be easy to access/install (its own shortcut and directory) so I’ve been spending a bit of time working on a title screen and some of the menu graphics (It’s mostly just composition since the art is concept art from Republic Commando and therefore not mine, but I like how it’s turning out :)).

As it stands in PS:
http://www.leveldesign101.com/RC/RC_title_bg.jpg

As it looks in the game (slight distortion going from 1024x1024 import into UnrealEd to 1024x768 resolution):
http://www.leveldesign101.com/RC/RC_title_bg_ingame.jpg

/edit - changed images to links

DooFi

You could make your own fake concept art, by filtering a cool screenshot from the missions or painting over it! :D

Your idea to avoid distortion is actually okay, I do it the same way sometimes, but imho it doesnt work too well with the small text. I believe you can import 1024x768 into UED as well.

M3rl1n

Not a bad idea. The concept art for RC is amazing though; hard to come anywhere close to it. I just wish they’d release more of it.

Anyway, I finally have a release ready! :)

http://www.leveldesign101.com/RC/downlo ... Alpha1.exe

This installs the map/mod to its own directory within the “GameData” folder as well as creating a shortcut on the desktop. An uninstaller can be found in the start menu, as well as in add/remove programs.

This was created and tested on a fresh install in Windows 2000 and seem to work fine. If you have any problems please let me know.

The map is still beta, I’m going to clean it up and possibly rework some of it based on comments when I release the second map, but it’s pretty much as it should be and seems to run smoothly. The mod itself is very much Alpha.

The “PRO” map which is now just about as basic as you can get (accessed via “New Game”) will eventually be a full hanger where you can select missions; sort of like the campaign map, just in the game.

All comments are welcome!

M3rl1n

Eh, was just playing through it again and found somewhat of a show stopping bug. You may or may not run into it, but if you do it wrecks the Search and Destroy progression so you can only use “Form Up” from that point on.

That’ll teach me not to make last minute changes, anyway the fixed release is now up :?

arramus

Hey M3rl1n,

I ran through the map a few times and it's great fun to play. You have a great knowledge of scripting and it all works to good effect. The sequence and rules you require players to follow before advancing all add to the experience.

Things I particularly like are the fog. This is particularly so in the blocked passage towards the end. It's really deep and evil.

I also like it when the 3 guys drop through the ceiling grates at the slice point. I was standing just underneath them at the time and that was fun.

I also like the shape of the corridor brushes. It makes the overall look interesting and creates a sense of confinement that makes it all the more intense.

The only issues I got were:

Sometimes the slavers get blocked on the curved brush and just run on the spot. I don't know if this is a room for maneuver issue. On some runs it's fine but others they get all tread milly.

When looking back down the final passage to the intense red fog area the brush disappears and you can see outside. There are a couple of brushes down there overlapping. I don't know if that's the cause, zoning is the cause or it's just one of those Unreal Engine things.

When looking out of the window at the end the fog likes to make the SMs glow. Again this is something that may be unavoidable.

All in all it's great stuff and the way you've packed it shows me it's possible to make mod folders which will bypass the need for installing/reinstalling new properties files. I've learned some good stuff from this build.

Shockjaw

just to let you know just before you have to defeat the trando leader guy my Squad goes back to an area at the end of the hall and I had to use form up so my guys wouls stay with me and uh the second map (Map B) will not launch

arramus

Give M3rl1n a chance to make it first.  :wink:

Shockjaw

ok sure I will be patient [don't get on me for this post]

M3rl1n

Quote from: "arramus"Hey M3rl1n,

I ran through the map a few times and it's great fun to play. You have a great knowledge of scripting and it all works to good effect. The sequence and rules you require players to follow before advancing all add to the experience.

Things I particularly like are the fog. This is particularly so in the blocked passage towards the end. It's really deep and evil.

I also like it when the 3 guys drop through the ceiling grates at the slice point. I was standing just underneath them at the time and that was fun.

I also like the shape of the corridor brushes. It makes the overall look interesting and creates a sense of confinement that makes it all the more intense.

The only issues I got were:

Sometimes the slavers get blocked on the curved brush and just run on the spot. I don't know if this is a room for maneuver issue. On some runs it's fine but others they get all tread milly.

When looking back down the final passage to the intense red fog area the brush disappears and you can see outside. There are a couple of brushes down there overlapping. I don't know if that's the cause, zoning is the cause or it's just one of those Unreal Engine things.

When looking out of the window at the end the fog likes to make the SMs glow. Again this is something that may be unavoidable.

All in all it's great stuff and the way you've packed it shows me it's possible to make mod folders which will bypass the need for installing/reinstalling new properties files. I've learned some good stuff from this build.
Thanks for the feedback, arramus; glad you enjoyed and it were able to take something from it :)

I appreciate the time taken, and I’ll definitely try to address the thing you’ve been brought up - the slaver rush problem has been dogging me since I started so I’m not sure how I’m going to figure that out though :?

Quote from: "Shockjaw"just to let you know just before you have to defeat the trando leader guy my Squad goes back to an area at the end of the hall and I had to use form up so my guys wouls stay with me and uh the second map (Map B) will not launch

Do you recall if the sniper squad marker was cancelled?

I experienced similar when I progressed too far down the hall that leads to the bridge door before my squad was ready to continue (after all enemies are dead the snipe move is auto cancelled and the script tells Delta to move to the next Search and Destroy path node).

If that is the case it can be solved by going back to where your squad is at; once you’re close enough they’ll continue the Search and Destroy progression (I’ll have to experiment more with the Search and Destroy scripting to figure out how to solve this - or I’ll just remove one of the intervening nodes, should of thought of that before actually :P).

If the sniper squad marker has not been cancelled automatically then the script progression is broken which is not as easily addressed :?

Anyway thanks for the feedback :) I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help me make these maps as good as possible.

As for Part B: I started working on it today and am making good progress; Part A really got me back into the flow of UnrealEd so I should be able to start producing more smoothly now that I know what to expect.

A couple screens:

Shockjaw

how many do you pan to make? (as in single player maps)

M3rl1n

I have four missions I’d like to create for starters (including this one) whether or not they’ll require more then one map I’ll have to see. Right now this mission should be no more then two maps - my intention was to keep these short so I want to wrap it up and move on.

That’s just for starters though. Honestly since RC is basically the only game that gives us access to the Star Wars license on such a great and extremely flexible platform (UE2) there’s a LOT that I want to do.

I was designing up a full campaign when I first started with RC a year and a half ago and it’s still something I want to get back to.

Shockjaw

well I would like to know of the other maps you have made