UnrealEd crashes when browsing textures.

Started by RC-1266, October 27, 2009, 03:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RC-1266

I don't have any idea why, but when I'm browsing through the textures browser it crashes the whole program.
I need one of the trando shaders so I go to the CloneTextures -> TrandoshanTextures but as soon as I get closer to the bottom of the list my editor crashes.... >:o
I tried switching my texture quality from higherst to medium, but it's still messing around :

Jet

It is happening the same thing for me. :( I dont know how to fix it.
I was Ralex. I have finaly got to know how to change name! The thing was that I didn't know how to change it. :S
Proud member of Psycho.
www.youtube.com/jet7wave

frazscotland

isit sumthn to do with setting bumpmapping to low ??? :?:
XFIRE  FRAZSCOTLAND

RC-1266

Nope, I have to do that anyway, because otherwise my UnrealEd won't even start up :0
The problem is texture quality neither, I've been experimenting with that as well.

RC-1266

I don't know whether someone has already found a solution to this problem, but unfortunately I haven't and it's still bugging me.

I'm not sure whether this is a Vista related problem or a hardware related problem, but my Sony Vaio lapotop is able to run XP well - I just have to take the time to reinstall my computer and install both Vista and XP (or perhaps Windows 7 and XP).

This is the main reason keeping me from mapping for RC, and since I'm not even sure why it crashes it's hard for me to find a solution.
Help would be appreciated.

RC-1266

Is there ANYONE who knows how to fix this?
I tried everything with the little knowledge I have, but it still does this.
I'm unable to pick up any new or old project if I can't browse to the textures I'm already using...
If anyone has good ideas I'm willing to try them out.

{CCP}VI

i have the same problem and i have no idea how to fix it. but there is a way to deal with it. go to the filter of the texture browser and uncheck "textures". now you should be able to go through the browser but it doesnt show up normal textures(only combiners, shaders,etc. including stuff with bumpmapping for example like clonetextures but you will be able to find also quite normal textures for walls, ground and so on).

if you would like to export one of those shaders open the properties of it in the texturebrowser. you will find next to "diffuse" the filename of the real texture (Texture'CloneTextures.CloneTextures.CloneCommando07') for example. then you have to place a staticmesh or something like that in the map and use the normal texture as a skin for it. then go to "in use" in the texture browser-> in use and tick in the filter "textures" again. after that the texture should appear in the texturebrowser, ready for export.
i think it has to do with the bumpmapping-problem.

if youre looking for a specific texture you can also look in the staticmeshbrowser for the name of it and use it that way. still uncomfortable, but it works for me. i hope that helps.
Xfire- viscatus

RC-1266

Quote from: {CCP}VI on October 26, 2010, 05:54:05 AM
i have the same problem and i have no idea how to fix it. but there is a way to deal with it. go to the filter of the texture browser and uncheck "textures". now you should be able to go through the browser but it doesnt show up normal textures(only combiners, shaders,etc. including stuff with bumpmapping for example like clonetextures but you will be able to find also quite normal textures for walls, ground and so on).

if you would like to export one of those shaders open the properties of it in the texturebrowser. you will find next to "diffuse" the filename of the real texture (Texture'CloneTextures.CloneTextures.CloneCommando07') for example. then you have to place a staticmesh or something like that in the map and use the normal texture as a skin for it. then go to "in use" in the texture browser-> in use and tick in the filter "textures" again. after that the texture should appear in the texturebrowser, ready for export.

if youre looking for a specific texture you can also look in the staticmeshbrowser for the name of it and use it that way. still uncomfortable, but it works for me. i hope that helps.
SERIOUSLY THANK YOU for this hint, I don't have any time today to check this method out, but it's probably the best thing to do as long as LucasArts doesn't come up with a solution to the bumpmapping issues.
I really think that LucasArts should make a second patch to fix stuff like this (and if they're making one anyway, why not adding a few extra maps and some missions :P).

EDIT: Shouldn't we make some sort of sticky thread about all Vista/Windows 7/Videocard-related incompatibility issues?

Alvar007

Uncomfortable or not, still THANK YOU I LOVE YOU I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A SOLUTION OF THIS PROBLEM AND YOU GAVE ME ;D

Alvar007

Quote from: Alvar007 on September 14, 2012, 07:49:41 AM

Uncomfortable or not, still THANK YOU I LOVE YOU I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A SOLUTION OF THIS PROBLEM AND YOU GAVE ME ;D
Well, i have to say that the first time it works, i tried with clonecommando07 texture and it worked but now when i try to use the texture as skin it puts the shader not texture AND I AM SELECTING THE TEXTURE!!! :'(
pls can you help me? i'd be very appreciated

frazscotland

wel in the default animation set for commandos etc its shaders that are utilised.
In the properties for the commandos its  SHADER u utilise for the respective commandos ,
Whydo u want to change to a texture as opposed to its respective shader anyways ?
shaders make the mesh look better that just the texture which tends to look more dull matt  8)

The texture comes after the shader in the order tree in the shader properties
XFIRE  FRAZSCOTLAND

Alvar007

Quote from: frazscotland on September 14, 2012, 11:34:19 AM
wel in the default animation set for commandos etc its shaders that are utilised.
In the properties for the commandos its  SHADER u utilise for the respective commandos ,
Whydo u want to change to a texture as opposed to its respective shader anyways ?
shaders make the mesh look better that just the texture which tends to look more dull matt  8)

The texture comes after the shader in the order tree in the shader properties
just for skinning... but if i can export a shader, edit it, import it and then resking a pawn with that shader shouldnt be problem really?
what i mean is that i dont need textures for skinning? because i watched a video that said "shader cannot export, only textures make sure you select a texture" so that's why i was finding them, because my texture browser crashs. hope this is understood :D

frazscotland

You cant export shaders so ..
export a cloneskin from the clone texture package but REMEMBER to end it as   .bmp  as the save name
eg Clonetrooper.bmp
or do a google search to look for a clone or commando skin
XFIRE  FRAZSCOTLAND

Alvar007

Quote from: frazscotland on September 18, 2012, 10:33:19 AM
You cant export shaders so ..
export a cloneskin from the clone texture package but REMEMBER to end it as   .bmp  as the save name
eg Clonetrooper.bmp
or do a google search to look for a clone or commando skin
Yeah, but what if i want to export any other texture? I cant because my UnrealED crashes!! :'( I need to fix this problem...

RC-1266

I discovered another solution to bypass this problem after buying a new laptop.
This laptop has an option to select which graphics processor should execute the program.
Whenever I select my nVidia card to run UnrealEd, it will crash when scrolling through the texture browser and a shader passes by.
But whenever I select my integrated graphics processor to run it, it won't crash. Luckily this processor is good enough to run older 3d-stuff like UnrealEd fast enough.

For my laptop, I can choose this option by right-clicking a (shortcut to a) program and select an option that roughly translates to "Execute with graphics processor" and then gives me the options "Powerful NVIDIA-processor (default)" and "Integrated graphics".
Similar options might be accessible from a graphics card's control panel as well.

I hope this helps other people too ;D