KF-DeepThrustV1 by Snipe34

Started by Madball, September 07, 2009, 02:06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madball

Download here:
kfmod.php?page=downloads&command=view&id=72

=========================================================================
Readme

DeepThrustV1, Map by Snipe34.  Music by Wib.

~A game map for Killing Floor, by TripWire Interactive~

---------------

This is the big thrust - strike at the heart of Clamely's twisted empire.  Gain entry to his Horzine Facility and eradicate the infestation.

---------------

INSTALLATION (3 files):

File 1# Program Files / Steam / SteamApps / Common / KillingFloor / Maps /DeepThrustV1.rom

File 2# Program Files / Steam / SteamApps / Common / KillingFloor / Music /trepidation.ogg
File 3# Program Files / Steam / SteamApps / Common / KillingFloor / Music /trepidation.ogg

---------------

Permissions:

This is the competition map, first Wave.

It's a free map, but beyond TripWire Interactive's useage, and that of mappers, there are restrictions, see below regarding CGTextures' mention.  Other than CGTextures' caveat below, you're welcome to use the statics, texture and whatever you want from DeepThrustV1, unless TripWire say otherwise.

Soon I'm putting out ASnipe'sMeshesV3.  It will have DeepThrust's meshes/ tex and those I haven't used and those I've made for other people. So far it's about 30megs worth of meshes /tex.  There'll be a link soon to the meshes on TripWire's KF Forums, http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com

---------------

TripWire Interactive's helpful team, their artists, creators and its initial creator: Alex Quick.  UT2004's creative team.  Valve and Steam.

And for DeepThrust, thanks to:

Wib for his spooky theme music and Lull music - hope you them.

Also, http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/index.php for Roscoetoon's E-water drip-echo.wav, it's a drip I can't do without.

CGTextures.com  TripWire say it's ok to use CGTextures because they use them too, and yep, I noticed that on the truck wheel, lol.  But anyway, CG asks this to be placed in a readme:
"One or more textures on this map have been created with images from CGTextures.com. These images may not be redistributed by default, please visit www.cgtextures.com for more information."

ATI, Cubegen http://ati.amd.com/developer/cubemapgen/index.html  A free program extremely helpful with constructing cubemaps.

NVidia's NVcompress, a free program.  Terrific for compressing textures.

The static meshes were made with Blender 2.45, because it's compatible with Doc Holliday's old but solid .ASE exporter.

Slayweb's http://www.slayweb.com/tutorials/tut1.php  "How-to: Unrealed water reflections," which I know by heart now, but the link may be useful to someone else.

Shaping the textures, I used IPE, an ancient program that came with a camera or something.  I used it because it's easy to use. For alphas, text, some effects, and for conversion to .psd for NVcompress, I used version 7 of Adobe Photoshop.

--------------
Beta Testers:

WiB and SniperBunny - but ZED RoBoT was away ><

--------------

Happy hunting!

thesnipe34 at gmail dot com

-eof-

=========================================================================

MAPBOT'S REVIEW

In more than a few words...
Brushwork -- Technically sound and well proportioned. No signs of overlapping brushes and often associated holes or tears.
Performance and Stability -- Smooth gameplay throughout with consistently good framerate. Well placed zones and antiportals.
Gameplay and Fun -- A good balance of open and closed areas inside and outside offers a lot of intense gameplay.
Graphics, Lighting and Polish -- An abundance of well located custom additions supported by careful placement and setting of lights create a unique and remarkable ambiance.
Creativity  -- This map allows players to perceive a mission in progress with the initial entryway and penetration to the facility. Read into the map name as you like but it certainly describes the gameplay dynamics most admirably. Creative highlights include; the waterfall and bubbling ripples effect -- strong use of emitters and accompanying sound effects. Mapbot turns off the custom music as he prefers the atmospheric sound effects to the custom made music additions.
KF Specific Features -- Architecture allows Bots to comfortably spawn out of site but close enough to trouble the players without too much down time. This is especially so inside where the hallways provide plenty of cover points to create a swarm atmosphere. Outside can cause the Bots some issues due to terrain and multi levels in open gameplay; much to the advantage of players. Standard traders and pickups provide a well tried and trusted gameplay element.

In a few words...
Mapbot thinks KF-DeepThrustV1 offers a balanced all round experience but particularly enjoys the custom content. Mapbot awards this map a 5 out of 5.

About Mapbot
Mapbot trawls the KF community forums for maps described as FINAL Versions. After playtesting, Mapbot uploads a selection for review. Mapbot's programming is weighted to focus on the most positive aspects of each map but will offer opinions to the contrary with suggestions as necessary.
My worst dream? I\'ll tell you about my worst dream. It all begins with a rampant zombified soldering iron...