DM_TimberlandXS - FINAL

Started by arramus, April 13, 2007, 05:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arramus

This map's final and has been added to the uploads area.

Timberland XS is based on Halo Timberland and will contain a majority of its look and feel. The only major area that will be tricky is the trees as RC provides a pretty different range.

This map's still in early stages but the architecture is almost complete. Apart from the two opposing bases the remainder will be terrain editing.

The scale is comparable to the original and will be a sniper's paradise.

{MotR}Weapon

Wootels. :mrgreen:

flame

looking good, cant wait to see it when its finished

arramus

I added the opposing base to get a realistic look at the scale. It may be a touch shorter than the original but that's not a bad thing considering RC doesn't have any vehicles. To ensure spawn killing is kept to a minimum I'll place spawn points in areas that provide some range of cover.

arramus

Sniping from one base to the other with the current sniper rifle is not a possibility as the weapon projectile simply doesn't have the range. Moving up into the mound at the front of the base is sufficiently close though. I may keep it like this to ensure there are no base to base spawn kills. Another option is to increase the sniper rifle range in the Sandcrawler Mod and simply place spawn points more carefully.

I've started shaping the terrain and will keep most of the original theme in place.

arramus

Using a regular brush and the canopy meshes it should be possible to get somewhere close to the original Timberland trees.

{MotR}Weapon

Woot, pine trees in rep com XD

Squad_Sammaron

i say to avoid spawn kills, put a lil twist on map and allow bunker wid bacta tanks, or something frankly useless to take up space with a barrier that can be opened. that way, they can see if they're gonna be sniped, and gives more exists for escape. just a thought
"Testosterone - You\'ve never seen so much man in one place."
      Title of Regal, Tales of Symphonia
      Stolen by Sammaron, Lord of All

Shockjaw

I rally think it would be cool if someone made a place with a small upper area and an area honeycombed with tunnel ina small are or made maps that are from DS agem like the ones from Metroid Prime Hunters

{MotR}Weapon

Hmm instead of that he could just keep the actual shape and theme of the map, and just add in blast shields like the ones in lockdown where you can open and close them.  :?

It wouldn't be too great of a change and would be subtle.

Squad_Sammaron

sounds good. he could alos raise hills a bit, making sites harder to see.
"Testosterone - You\'ve never seen so much man in one place."
      Title of Regal, Tales of Symphonia
      Stolen by Sammaron, Lord of All

Shockjaw

yuo know the shields that are found in the begining of the game (on geonosis that you have to hack) well I think it would be cool if you could have a console in the base that could be pressed to activate and de-activate it and you could have and what I think would be cool if you had multiple doors that open (for an idea for another way to get into the base) in a chain this one opens then the next one and the next one

arramus

Adding a few more trees and rocks as well as tweaking the terrain to make it suited to foot soldiers.

Shockjaw

nice addition I must say

arramus

Timberland XS is starting to take its final shape and just needs cleaning up and optimising tweaks. There are some antiportals under the main hills to help lower the poly count from the terrain mesh and the trees may need changing to a lower amount of sides with an antiportal added inside as well. I'll see how it runs on a 9550.

The top area only has 2 spawn points at the back of the base and the remainder are downstairs or outside. I think that brings some better balance with spawning.