Started by JustFilth, May 28, 2009, 02:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustFilth

Map Name: KF-Biohazard

Beta Number: Public beta 1

Author: JustFilth

Playable: Yes

Pictures:

Description of map: Medium sized map, indoors.

Storyline: 6 months after the initial outbreak, It seems that the specimens are growing in numbers. Created without reproduction systems and unable to breed for the last few survivors this is a bit of a conundrum.

From what information they have pieced together the steady flow of undead are coming from the the labs at Huntington. One thing they don't know is that it is the undead themselves that have evolved and under the direction of there master the Patriarch, who when alive was one of the scientist that helped give life to the dead is now starting the deadly process again.

Can the survivors infiltrate the Huntington labs and stop the flow of zombies and finally pull the plug or will they wittingly walk into there own deaths and provide the Patriarch with new material for his gruesome work.

Testing: playabilty.

Map Download/Download Size: http://files.filefront.com/KF+Biohazard ... einfo.html 866.93 KB (887,740 Bytes)

Credits: Tripwire interactive.

Notes: This is my first go with the Unreal editor so dont judge this map to harshly and enjoy troopers.

Filth

arramus

Yep, definitely worthy of a beta release and not far from being a final build either.

The scale feels good and the lighting, choice of textures, and overall architecture display are sound.

A few things to consider:

As this area's quite cramped it's easy to exploit and difficult for the AI to move around, hence ones eventually made it on the table and is lost in the ceiling.

A few KFZombieZoneVolume brushes will stop players going into areas they're not permitted. A good model is in the TraderExample.rom that came with the game/sdk as a tutorial map.

This walkway appears to be floating. Maybe a few supporting joists will make it look fixed.

And most importantly of all  :mrgreen:

Don't overlap brushes. The are a few overlapping brushes with this area displaying crossovers of 3.
This puts a lot more work on rendering and can pit pressure on servers. It can also cause bsp tears.

You've clearly put a lot of work into your level and it shows. Great stuff so far.

JustFilth

Thank you arramus,

I will block clip the central area aswell as the spawns for the final. Regarding the brushwork I understand totally what you are saying and know that this is my weakest area all I can say is as i get more familiar with the tools this should only get better at least isn't that whats supposed to happen lol. At present I am more use to building than cutting out as my other mapping experience is with CoD Radiant.

Once again thank you for your time and this info is exactley what i was looking for.

Cheers JustFilth.