Blocking Volumes

Started by hockeygoalie35, December 05, 2010, 04:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hockeygoalie35

Hey! I'm hockeygoalie35, one of the co-founders of Carbonite Modders. our current project is the ARC Trooper mod, and i got a question about blocking volumes.

as you can see here in the picture, i have a blocking volume over the cliff to the other-side.
in the video, it demonstarates what is supposed to happen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I46SEWgwRR8

i tried to put pathnodes on the blocking volume, but doesnt work, probably due to this:
it cannot collide until an event is triggered.
is there a way to keep it this way and have my squadies walk across?
thanks and i hope to provide as much knowledge as i can contribute to this forum

Xfire: hockeygoalie35
Youtube: 1hockeygoalie

{CCP}VI

hm, when you set bpathcolliding in the default properties of the blocking volume to true, and then rebuild the AIpaths, then you will get the message that pathnodes cannot be based on blocking volumes. so it does not work with blocking volumes at all. you will have to find an alternative way for your idea. i would use movers but i'm pretty sure it won't work with them either because of the same problem. navigationpoints cannot be placed on movers :/.

i would make a invisible bridge which has the pathnodes you need and an invisible barrier in front of the cliff so you and your squad can't enter the cliff. then, after the atte falls down, make the barrier disappear. you should set bpathcolliding of the barrier to false, so the path can get calculated when you "build all". 
oh, and its not that important but your squadmembers could try to go across the bridge before the barrier disappears. they will ignore the barrier because its not colliding their path. could look quite stupid because they will run against an invisible wall. use blockedpathnodes instead of normal pathnodes. when you trigger the tag[which you have to define in the defaultproperties of the pathnodes(event>tag)] of the pathnodes they will get activated and the squadmembers will use them.
not the best idea, but i hope it helped.

Xfire- viscatus

hockeygoalie35

hmm, ill have to try that out......isit possible for bushes to be hidden/unhidden? and then collide/ cant collide?
Xfire: hockeygoalie35
Youtube: 1hockeygoalie

Tycon

Yes. You set up an AI script (it seems you know how to do that) So you make a Sethidden, set bHidden to true, and put the brush's tag in hideactortag. and then you make a set Collision after that.

I just do this to show off my brother's photoshop skillz :D